Chasing wiring

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
I hoped under the dash really fast to check out the reostat on the gas peddle and I was looking around.. There is a push buttom switch on the dash and have no Idea what it does, (been wondering for a while) and I saw some wires running out of it and chased them down.. They go through the firewall and run under the top center engine cover and routes to a connector under the intake tube offset on the right of the center of the motor, I cant see exactly what it connects too and Im at work so I cant take a pic, but what would a push button be used for thats under that area.. I know its a long shot but Im just wondering, I can go back out and get a closer and better look

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
DO NOT push it, its a self destruct button :eek: :eek:

maybe the previous owner hooked up a gadget, it doesnt sound stock ?

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
Ya I new it was aftermarket but Im just trying to figure out what in the world it would be for... I will go back out and get a better description of what it plugs into, Its going to annoy me till I figure it out... I also have one more switch to chase after this one....

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
could be hooked up to the exhaust brake valve so it can be turned on for an exhaust brake. do the wires connect to a plugin under the intake port of the turbo?

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
MUDWHISTLE said:
could be hooked up to the exhaust brake valve so it can be turned on for an exhaust brake. do the wires connect to a plugin under the intake port of the turbo?

Yup, I believe so, I will take another look

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
Yup you were exactly right, It plugs in to the itake of the Turbo on the lower piece of the housing, So how would that still work, I dont see an engine or a Jake Brake

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it triggers for the EBPV to close which will cause a severe exhaust restriction therefore slowing the vehicle down IF the torque converter is locked or the clutch is engaged.

It works best at very high RPMs and is roughly as effective as engine braking in a gas motor.

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
So then there is somthing already in there...

Now that I know that that is a engine brake, and with out trying it out yet, I may have to check it out on the way home today..

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Its not specifically an engine brake. Its main purpose in life is to warm the engine up during cold starts. It recieves info from sevral different sensors and based upon that info it will close to create more exhaust back pressure and in turn warm the engine up faster. However, with some creative wiring like someone has installed on your truck it can be used as a home made exhaust brake.

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
So to activate it, do I just drive and push the button when i let off the peddle, or when Im using the brakes?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14