Cheap F.Pr. Mod

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
I will practically guarantee you that your stock pump can get to 100 psig. That is the design. If it can not produce that pressure, your pump is failing or there is a restriction.

It comes down to believeing them or believing Ford. I will repeat - Ford specifically states in literature that risking injector o-ring failure can begin at 75 psig. There is no question as to the meaning of their statement - it is specific.

IMO - The wise person will be conservative. Running OVER 60 psig will get you absolutely NO benefit (this is not a 7.3L diesel). The only thing you need is to ALWAYS keep the pressure over 45 psig since this is the leading cause of injector damage (low fuel pressure - another Ford statistic). More pressure does NO good. You want enough pressure so that at WOT you will not drop below 45 psig.

Do what you want, but it is an expensive risk.

I hear you bismic. When my new spring gets me way over like yours was, I'll probably choose to buy a new stock spring and try out the BB mod(if necessary). But like I said, I want to check it out like you did. I'll get to see how my 7 yr. old pump performs w/ the new demand. Thanks for the heads up.

thomas5853

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Anything new on spring? I haven't purchased a fuel gauge, but was wondering about putting one inside so I can see it. I think the lack of fuel pressure at WOT is causinging my fuel injector issue. Both times I had to replace my fuel injectors, I was at WOT against another vehicle. I won, but it wasn't cheap.

blood

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i used the bb under my stock spring to get me from 40-45 to 45 - 55 it works great.
i used a new cap with gauge fitting in the top for my gauge just to keep me informed about the filter. the regulator has a check port on the side you can use.

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Anything new on spring? I haven't purchased a fuel gauge, but was wondering about putting one inside so I can see it. I think the lack of fuel pressure at WOT is causinging my fuel injector issue. Both times I had to replace my fuel injectors, I was at WOT against another vehicle. I won, but it wasn't cheap.
Have not got around to it yet, but your right about fuel pressure gauge first. Electric gauge inside the cab is the way to go. I went w/ an Autometer 0-100p.s.i. gauge. Comes w/ sender. ITP diesel(sponsor)carries a great adaptor kit to hook up to the fuel filter base and long s.s. line to get the sender mounted away from the heat and vibration.

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where there is a port or fitting to hook a gauge to on the 6.0.

There is a test port on the upper fuel filter housing. You need a m12x1.5 adapter to fit the 1/8" NPT sensor for the fuel pressure gauge.

Look at the picture #57 and #58, the brass looking plug to the lower left labeled Fuel Pressure Test port.

Page 30: Fuel Supply System

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58