cheap fuel tanks

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking for every way to cut costs of installing a WVO system in my rig. seems the 2 highest costs is the tank and pump. so, would useing a tank from a big rig be a bad idea? I wonder if they sell those used in the yards around here.

ideas?
pros?
cons?

dpantazis

Reaction score
me 2

jopes- i am in the same boat you are. i was actually thinking about a diesel tank off of a trailer, box truck or from a reefer trailer. reefer tank propably 30 gallon or so?

otherwise, i was looking to butchering up a plastic tank for now- this is an example of what i was thinking:

http://www.tank-depot.com/productdetails.aspx?part=A-FS0035-18

shipping is about $20. i am trying to source it locally.

i am still trying to work out building a tank to fit under the body. seems like aluminum is the way to go. i am trying to work out how to support it.

dennis

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
i don't know if that is for fuel? looks like a water tank. probably not to a DOT code? i would look into it some more.. and when you find a cheaper version than a saddle tank in the bed let me know too...:thumbs

RoReRi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like this one... has some extra gallons for longer distance before fillups...
68 gallons times 15 miles per = a little over 1000 miles:sweet :sweet

http://www.tank-depot.com/Drawings/Ace/SP0050-RT.pdf
IMHO, and the truth be known, none of the mods we do for our trucks are DOT sanctioned/approved/Appropriate tax paid and so-on :eek: Not that I haven't tried...No one knows what to do at the local DOT. But thats a whole nuther can of WORMS-mad

So with that said, I like the tank above, its below the bed line, the bed is right at 19 inches, which it two inches above the tank, (gives room for the top described below).
Its about 42 inches wide, that gives you room on the side to put a filter and some plumbing...
But, its too deep for a short bed and just about too deep for a long bed, that is if you want to put it all on one side. (it will bump the wheel wells)
If you put it in the middle you are good to go...:sweet

I like it so that you have enough room to put a 1 inch sheet of foam insulation on the bottom, sides, ends and top.
For the "lid" which would cover the tank from one side of the bed to the other and from front to back, I would have a HVAC metal person make me a top that has ears similar to the way a tool box would rest on the bed. It also looks from the road very similar to a tool box.;) This makes for a GREAT cover to keep the elements out, OH did I mention that it make for a good stealth setup too?

I have a 100 gallon Contico metal tank now, but not for long... the WVO polermerizes (sp?):confused: on the sides and makes for short life on the filters... one every 100 gallons... Plastic is the way to go, cheap and good enuf... Aluminum may be the way to go, but $$$...no have...

Boy houdy, did I do a long one or what????:)
Good luck all, and don't forget to PURGE !!!!

RoReRi

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WVO polermerizes???

whats this? and it sounds like someting I need to be worried about.

RoReRi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its kind of hard to explain, as I know little of exactly WHAT it is, more of what it does and etc.
To get a look see for your self, put a piece of flat steel in a jar of WVO with half of the steel out of the WVO.
Ever once a day or so, shake the jar so the WVO splashes up on the whole piece of flat steel.
In a week or so you will find out exactly what polermerization (sp?) really looks like...

RoReRi

wdw64

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Wylie Sprayers

In a previous life I sold turf and landscape equipment including lots of ranch maintenance equipment. To kill mesquite and brush in South Texas we mix vegetation killer (Remedy) with diesel (a surfactant). You can't use any run of the mill spray tank and pump, the caustic nature of diesel will break down the plastic of the tank. Wylie came up with these tanks and spray rigs and they work great. You guys should be able to get them at your local farm and ranch store, or if you call Wylie and they willl sell direct. They will also just sell the tank by itself. Hope this helps.

http://www.wyliesprayers.com/products/9-tanks/dieselspotsprayer.htm

Wes

Last edited:

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
jopes said:
WVO polermerizes???

whats this? and it sounds like someting I need to be worried about.

You've seen linoleum. Thats what happens when linseed oil polymerizes (don't run that in your truck. A lady out here got a bunch for her TDI, stuck rings in a few hundred gallons). Most vegetable oils we use take a long time to polymerize, and need exposure to air and moisture. Copper and alloys seem to act as a sort of catalyst. HDPE and Aluminum seem to have almost no catalyst effect.

I used a HDPE boat below deck fuel tank for mine. Used they are pretty cheap if you have a boat salvage yard nearby.

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
know of any boat salvage yards? I am probably 1 hour from you. :)

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
jopes said:
know of any boat salvage yards? I am probably 1 hour from you. :)

Not specifically right off, tho alot of Marinas part out boats, or at least know where to take scrap ones. Start by calling marinas in your area and see if they have any old tanks, or know of a source. Got one of mine off of craigslist (32 gal stainless), the other from West Marine (12 gal HDPE). Small Marina near me sometimes has tanks, but last I looked they just had a few odd shaped ones. Thought I'd found a 50 gallon one floating in the Delta a month ago, but it was just a bouyancy tank, to flimsy for liquid. Had some fun playing in the water with it tho:D

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14