FYI "check coolant additive" warning light

captbob

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
This warning message started to come on every time I cranked the beast. I was temporarily cancelling the message by hitting the "OK" button. I found out that the driver can cancel the warning permanently while sitting in the driver's seat using the menu in the dash. Just in case someone else is having this minor irritant of a problem. BTW nothing was wrong with my coolant additive.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
just as a question..
did you have the coolant tested (and found OK) or changed (and added to the new coolant)?

captbob

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
just as a question..
did you have the coolant tested (and found OK) or changed (and added to the new coolant)?

On the next oil change I had them test it with their litmus paper and it tested ok I did need to add some regular antifreeze to the reservoir before I had it tested. But that had nothing to do with the warning light coming on. It is simply programmed to come on at X number of miles. This warning is simply one of those overly cautious Ford things that Ford does to get you to flush your engine coolant

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
My 2010 Toyota Corolla does this at 6K mile increments. I constantly get the Check Engine Light. I just turn it off. All this computer generated crap is driving us all crazy.

Dave :dunno

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
This warning is simply one of those overly cautious Ford things that Ford does to get you to flush your engine coolant

Hate to say it but you are dead wrong here. The coolant needs to be tested periodically (1)for freeze protection (obvious one), (2) to confirm the absence of nitrates, and (3) to check contamination level.
there are 2 separate cooling systems as well, one for the EGR and the regular engine cooling system. Each system needs to be tested separately.
The test procedures need to be performed exactly as Ford lays out to get reliable results.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Listen to Roy, you shall..

yes, the light may be programmed to come on every few thousand miles, but they want you to check your coolant.

(here's where I get really crappy..)
Are you telling me you know more than the engineers that designed it?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Those engineers have to assume that you will ignore the light for 10 -20 thousand miles. So, yes I am saying that you all know more about how you drive, if you use half a brain. No slam on JL.

Dave :)

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
my whole thing is, if you cancel it permanently, how are you suppossed to remember to check the additive concentration?

Which if ignored, is going to lead to internal corrision problems..
You'd be amazed at how many people think DexCool in a GM vehicle is "permanent" and never needs changing.. and wonder why their hoses fail after the coolant turns to chocolate milk..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58