Chip and trans life

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I know that the stock trans is a weak link when high performance mods are done. What I am curious to know is if I get the DP Tuner chip with the 80econo tune, and only use the 120 race once in a blue moon, would/should the trans last? My driving style has changed that I do not "race" the truck anylonger, but there is this one coworker with a Dodge.... I usually just drive to and from work. Also hopefully once a month use a 60 tow for pulling the 5th wheel and go explore the country side.

Thanks for your help and opinion.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled my 10k 5th wheel with a 50hp tow tune and ended up replacing my tc and rebuilding the tranny. If it hadn't of been for the tc screwing up my shifts I wouldn't of had to touch the transmission. Best thing to do if you're going to chip it is to put in a full billet tc and you should be good to go...keep an eye out on your trans temp. I'm going to have my chip reburned for a heavy tow tune. But for regular driving, I kept my chip on 75 and got +2-3mpg and never had any problems with that set-up for a year.

IMO.... if you do pull without already having the billet tc, I'd turn the chip off.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Most 4r100s need help stock. A good TC and shift kit would be your best bet to a lasting trans with a chip. It's hard to say how long the stock trans will hold an 80e. It's not going to let go in a week or month but eventually it will get tired.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does a shift kit really help...when you have a chip that changes your shift stratagey? I notice smoother shifts when I'm on my 100 setting. But when I'm stock I can really feel the shift kit working. I think that if you have it set up to do smooth shifts for daily driving it wont hurt the tranny. Aren't smoother shifts and higher transmission line pressure better for the transmission. I mean as long as your not stomping on it from a stop. I usually ease into the throttle until I hit 40....then I press it on down to shift through the gears smoothly.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Higher line pressures are good to a point. I side towards increasing line pressures mechanically.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Higher line pressures are good to a point. I side towards increasing line pressures mechanically.

Yea I had that done to my truck. I like the way the chip changes the shift points better though compared to a shift kit. But thats just my personal prefference

Racinghcr

Racinghcr
Reaction score
I think the BEST option is to add a 4-6 Qt Aluminum Tranny pan and change your Tranny oil more often than the recomended 30 K miles if you tow much or use your tranny hard. I tow a 15K ,36 ft Fifth Wheel (Made 11 trips to Florida of approx 3K miles round trip the last 10 yrs) ,and this has made my tranny live with NO Problems. But, I haven't hyped my engine with 'speed" from a tuner either. My mods have been straight (no muffler),4 inch exhaust,Zoodad,and AFE air Box & filter. You can't go wrong with a HUGHES transmission Pan --they should factory available ! Good luck !

Racinghcr

Racinghcr
Reaction score
sagebel---Great looking 2011 FORD PSD !!! Tell us more about it,and what your experience has been so far. Thanks--Wish I had a new 2011 FORD F-450 PSDiesel,but my old 2001 7.3 has only got 180K on it and just breaking in !

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I have had it for two weeks and I only have 400 miles on it. I am currently in Groton, CT at a school that has required way too much studying. I'm making a road trip to Cortland, NY Memorial Day weekend. I'll provide a full write up then as well as after my 2700 mile tow to WA in June. So far I love it.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'd think that as long as you use the 80e as "e" and not for other things..
you'll be fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14