Chip is out and flutter/surge is gone

Darth_Stroker

Dark Lord of the Sith
Reaction score
I can't figure it out... I sent my chip to be reprogrammed. I went into town to get some food tonight and I decided to test out the ebp gauge I just installed for some testing with my new ats wastegated housing(when I get around to installing it). I put it to the floor and it got up to 33 psi but didn't flutter/ surge like it has been except on shifts. It doesn't get up to max boost nearly as fast but it was smooth and cleared up the smoke really well.
Any ideas? I left tony a message but haven't heard back from him yet. I'm confused I was told that I probably have an exhaust/intake leak somewhere causing the flutter but I hit 33psi with no flutter tonight.:dunno

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
If your hitting 33 psi w/o the chip and not experiencing flutter that pretty much leave timing as the culprit?

twildman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
If your hitting 33 psi w/o the chip and not experiencing flutter that pretty much leave timing as the culprit?
Well, don't know about that, as the timing in his programs are pretty much stock.

Alan, I got your message late last night, was at Dillon's ballgame, anyway, the only thing I can think that would cause it, is that with the chip in your hitting the boost so much faster that without the chip.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
twildman said:
Well, don't know about that, as the timing in his programs are pretty much stock.

Thats why I left it as a question and not a statement, hoping you or another chip expert would chime in. I know Alan has been fighting flutter for quite awhile now.

twildman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alan, just a thought, but have you checked the intake hose from the filter to the turbo to make sure its not collapsing?

Darth_Stroker

Dark Lord of the Sith
Reaction score
I talked to Dale I this evening checking on some stuff I ordered. I posed the question to him as well just to get his opinion. His take was that the compresor surge/ flutter (if that's what it is) is probably happening because it's making considerably more boost at lower rpm with the programming and increased fuel as opposed to the stock programming where it's building gradually with along with engine rpm. He thinks the motor can't take in enough air on the intake side and, or can't get rid of enough on the exhaust side at the lower rpm with the high boost numbers. Beats me I'm just tryin to get it fixed.
Tony I'm gonna check all my intake boots etc. I've checked all the exhaust no leaks that I can see. I guess I'll pull the intake plenums when I install the IC and reseal them too. I really need to get the intake off of the fender well. maybe it's not gettin enough air.

3-StarJ.R.

53 year old kid.....
Reaction score
Alan, before you go chasing that gremlin, see what it does with the intercooler installed and before you do the housing. I got mine installed 3days before I changed the one's over to the two's and my boost numbers came down an average of about 5lbs with the stock turbo and the ones. No loss in performance, but was ever so slightly more "laggy" on the bottom end. Surprisingly after the two's the boost numbers stayed down which I like, it's keeping the turbo closer to it's map and may help it live a little longer.....performance with the two's? Super perma-grin!!:thumbs :thumbs

Darth_Stroker

Dark Lord of the Sith
Reaction score
I hear ya about the two's I love 'em but they smoke a little too much for me at times. I guess i'ts those big nozzles. Even with the chip out (so stock fuel etc.) it will smoke considerabley if I gas it in od before the boost comes up. Maybe the IC and eventually a new turbo will help. I sure do like to spend money, too bad I don't make it faster. :)

Darth_Stroker

Dark Lord of the Sith
Reaction score
I reinstalled the chip on thurs along with a ccv mod and map relief valve. I also raised the filter off the fender with a 2x4 (for now). Seemed to take most of the flutter out of it. I guess maybe I had too much restriction on the intake side with the filter just sitting on the fender.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg