Chip scratching PCM

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled my PCM to get the code off and noticed this on the PCM. Looks like the solder on the chip is scratching the PCM. Do ya'll think it would be ok to coat the chip in liquid tape or put something (non-conductive) between the chip and board? Any suggestions ya'll got please....I dont want my truck to take off on its own

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Some liquid tape or electrical tape would work. It looks like the circuit trace is OK, but it is close to getting damaged from the chip. I see a few more traces, off to the right that need some protection. Since what I am seeing is a vibration of the chip against the PCM, both Liquid Tape and Electrical tape may be needed. Don't glob it on, just a nice thin layer will do the job.

Dave

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave!!;tu

Liquid tape is a pretty handy thing to have around. Anytime someone is working on something electrical, I ask them if they want to use some liquid tape. They look at me as if I just offered them striping paint.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Dip-It (was originally for rubberizing tool handles) is a little more durable...

JRJ04

Reaction score
Gonna have to say no on this one if what I'm understanding that you are al saying is correct...

Jody at DP, specifically makes you scratch all that stuff off of the PCM before you install any chip so that you get a good solid connection. If you don't scratch off that silicone, the chip wont seat properly and you'll have all kinds of funky issues...

Did I misunderstand something?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonna have to say no on this one if what I'm understanding that you are al saying is correct...

Jody at DP, specifically makes you scratch all that stuff off of the PCM before you install any chip so that you get a good solid connection. If you don't scratch off that silicone, the chip wont seat properly and you'll have all kinds of funky issues...

Did I misunderstand something?

I believe you are misunderstanding. I did rub the coating off the copper connections for the chip. If you follow the traces down from those connections, you will see where they are almost severed from where the chip has been rubbing the board. You have to click the picture, enlarge, so you can see what I'm talking about.

JRJ04

Reaction score
Yea i clicked the pic, but i would revisit how you've got the chip connected and held in place before you go putting anything on it. That electrical stuff can get pretty tricky if the connection isnt good.

I've pulled my chip off several times and to date (knock on wood) I have not had any issues. My guess is, its not fastened as secure as it could be, and that is likely your problem of it rubbing.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i clicked the pic, but i would revisit how you've got the chip connected and held in place before you go putting anything on it. That electrical stuff can get pretty tricky if the connection isnt good.

I've pulled my chip off several times and to date (knock on wood) I have not had any issues. My guess is, its not fastened as secure as it could be, and that is likely your problem of it rubbing.

How do you have your's secured?

I would like to make it more secure so it doesn't wiggle off the connections (haven't had that happen), but with as close as those circuits are to be severed, it would take but one time of taking the chip out and "accidently" severing the circuit.

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
I just did what Jody said and got the chip seated on there and then put the pcm case back on, ran the wire out, and duck taped the crap out of it. so far so good?:dunno

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did what Jody said and got the chip seated on there and then put the pcm case back on, ran the wire out, and duck taped the crap out of it. so far so good?:dunno

I didn't duck tape...I got about 5 eyelets with sticky tape on the bottom (they're made for securing wire) stuck to the PCM housing so the wire snakes/binds itself. I tugged on the switch side of the wire and didn't feel it on the PCM side. Think I'll cover the chip and then duck tape it...need to cover that hole anyways. I got the casing cut out where I dont have to remove it to get the chip out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58