Chip switch placement done

BigBadMarine

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Laying in a wet southeast Texas rice field.
After much thought, I finally figured out where I wanted to mount my chip dial. I wanted it some what hidden, to prevent a thief from moving the dial from the no start postion. However, it needed to be some what accessible. I chose to mount it in my overhead console. First step was to lengthen the switch harness another 5'. I cut, spliced and soldered 5' of new added wire to the harness. I then drilled the required size hole in my console for the switch. I had to remove and modify some plastic behind the switch in order for the console to mount back properly. I ran the harness through the headliner and down the A pillar. Now I just need to get my chip back from TWildman:sweet

Closed..you'd never know it was there.
DSCN0362.jpg

Opened and ready to dial her up
DSCN0364.jpg

To answer the questions on why there is fiberglass in the top of the console. I think when I had my over head dvd player put in, the installers busted a few of my mounting tabs for the console. When I went to install my cab clearance lights, well...I busted whatever ones were left:( So instead of spending $100+ for a new cover, I fiberglassed the inside and outside of the garage door compartment in order to reinforce the thin plastic and then used two #14 sheet metal screws to hold the console in place. It worked and saved me a few $$$$, just isn't to pretty when you open the compartment door. I gould dress it up with some felt or something glued to the to top, but heck...I rarely open it. I also added a small light to the console, when they put my dvd player in, they removed the stock interior light and the ones on the dvd player don't throw off the greatest light. So I found a boat interior light and cut an opening and put it in my overhead.

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good HIDDEN location...dealer wouldnt suspect that...and even
if you had to TEMPORARILY remove it the WHOLE wouldnt be a
dead give away to any dealer.

if you were INTERESTED in hiding that fiberglass/resin...you could
cover the INSIDE of the compartment w/ some suede or felt material...
little bit of contact (spray on) glue and im sure it would look BETTER
than OE

BigBadMarine

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Laying in a wet southeast Texas rice field.
good HIDDEN location...dealer wouldnt suspect that...and even
if you had to TEMPORARILY remove it the WHOLE wouldnt be a
dead give away to any dealer.

if you were INTERESTED in hiding that fiberglass/resin...you could
cover the INSIDE of the compartment w/ some suede or felt material...
little bit of contact (spray on) glue and im sure it would look BETTER
than OE

No warranty on the truck...so no dealer worries. I know I could dress up the compartment some, maybe one day when I'm bored:sly

This whole project has just worked itself out for me. I was going to get a DP Tuner chip ($400). Then my buddy drops this chip in my lap for free. I have TWildman reburn it for less than the 4th of the cost of a new chip. Then I couldn't figure out where I could mount the switch where it would be accessible while driving, but hidden from a would be thief. Then it hits me....overhead console!!!!!

In the words of the A team....I love it when a plan comes together..

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Very creative install............... :sweet

Tbar

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58