Help Needed Cigar Smoke Smell

JRJ04

Reaction score
Hey guys...my brother just purchased a 2009 Yukon Denali (too good of a deal to pass up with only 18k miles on it!) but it unfortunantely had a cigar smoker before. It was a great deal and I think we can get the smoke out.

The guy at the dealer talked about putting bars of soap under the seats and bounce dryer sheets etc. To me, all of that will only mask the smell...I want to eradicate it completely and deal with the source. He mentioned washing the drill (not sure on the spelling) along the windshield where it pulls in fresh air...I know that will help some. I also know I can shampoo the carpets.

What do you do about the headliner?

Other suggestions to deal with it?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to your local custodial supply store. There is some stuff that come in a small can looks like a small bug bomb. They use it in building and houses that have smoke damage from fires. This stuff eat the the smoke smell up. It will leave a mint smell in the truck. Leave the windows up door closed set it off inside, leave it for about 6 hours after that open door and air out about 2 hours. Dont try to drive it until after the 2 hour air out. Your eyes will water really bad.

I use this stuff all the time on truck I buy and sell that had smokers in them. 99% of the people that buy them dont even know there was a smoker in the truck.

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
Thanks Dogman. A few follow up questions:

1. Any idea what it is called?
2. Do you reccommend running the a/c and/or heat at all? I want to get it all out of the hvac system as well.
3. Is it safe for it to fall on the seats? I don't want to damage or discolor anything.

Thanks!

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's called Fire-D get two cans it's about 5 bucks a can. Run the A/C and set off one can and let the A/C run about a hour with it on recycle. Then shut it down and let sit over night closed up. Open up in the AM and air out about 2 to 4 hours. Check it out and repeat if needed. Also check and see it the truck has a air filter for the A/C.

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with powrboatr and the use of ozone generators.

I'm curious how the Fire D works it is primarily Acetone with some propellants and fragrance.

JRJ04

Reaction score
Acetone? That doesn't sound safe for it to get on interior surfaces...

JRJ04

Reaction score
pb...this looks to be the route im going. did it harm any of the fabric or leather when you did this? My only concern is it harming the materials. I've called and talked to them and they say the only thing it can potentially harm is rubber, but most cars now days are more composite material so you should be fine.

Your thoughts?

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never had any problem with doing it. The guy that showed me how to do this, works on high end cars. He's also the guy that deals with cars that have had dead body in them for sometime, if you get my drift. He's had some bad ones, Every time I see him in a hazzmat suit I know what he's doing.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
you did try changing the cabin filter and a couple cans of Febreeze, I assume..

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr