Circulating Tank Coolant heater

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Anyone ever install one?
I have a very large one, 2250 watt but no instructions and nothing from the manufacture either. These work off of Thermosiphon so I know there is a certain way to hook it up so it works properly, just can not find any info on them.
What lines to tap into.
My objective is to figure out which line should be the tied to the inlet, which should be tied to the the outlet, this will be used to circ coolant to the 110 gal aux tank through a heated pickup (Hot Fox). And where to mount the thing under the hood.
Thanks for any help,
Rick H...

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So...do you already have your hotfox plumbed, or is that what you're trying to do with all of this?

I plumbed my hotfox and fuel filters into the heater hoses. The one on the left (looking towards the back) is the supply, the other is return. I just Tee'd into those. I'd bet that you could hook up your electric heater inline with that as well. I think it'd work fine that way. Got a link for your electric heater?

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
In another words the supply comes from the head and the return to the water pump.

Thats what I thought, when you say comes from the head you mean the pass side head towards the front of the veh?

I am wanting to use the hot fox in the 110 gal aux tank so we can do 100% Biodiesel year round.
The unit is a Zerostart 3305004, its a little over sized @ 2250 watts but its what I have on hand. I can not find any on line instructions and the contact email from the web site just bounces back.
This is one of those things that I think I am on the verge of over studying and need to just get the tools out and start the project!
Rick H...

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Yep I found that, just no specific install instructions. The other thing is it is a 20 amp so it has a different male plug arrangement than normal 120 volt 15 amp.
I am thinking this thing is to big, it is rated for like 1,500 cubic inch engine!
But I bet it would keep the B100 nice and warm as long as it was plugged in.
Is your FPHE install INSIDE your aux tank or is it an in-line type unit?
And your Hot Fox, is it in the Aux tank? Do you have a sending unit in the Aux tank. Thats one thing I do not want to loose is the sending unit in the Aux tank, so I know I am going to have to cut another hole in it for the hot fox.
Rick H...

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My FPHE is inline type...installed on the frame-rail. It would be neat to have it mounted to the side of the tank, though...it would give off some residual heat to help.

My hotfox is in my stock tank, with the aux gravity fed into the stock. So, I don't utilize the pickup and sender on the aux tank. I do have a little gauge on the tank so I can tell how full it is, but I'm not feeding it to the cab.

This will be my first winter to run WVO, so it's going to be a learning experience.

If I have problem gettingoil to flow from aux to stock, I may run a bit of coolant hose between the tank and bulkhead near the drain outlet to warm stuff up there. Otherwise, I imagine it being a solid brick of WVO in the tank. It doesn't really concern me too much, because most of my trips will get me there and back on the stock capacity, and temps usually don't stay too low that long...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58