clay bar??

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
ok, does anyone want to enlighten me.

i have seen 3-4 different brands out there and am wondering what it is and how it will work. i have seen mothers, maguires, some iccy frosty brand and another. says it only is good for 2 washes. just sposed to use water and rub it all over the paint surface....sposed to pick up all sap/tar/bug spots etc.

has anyone used one or got opinions? do they work as described? and w/ that does it make a difference?
:thanks

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Last two years I used Clay Magic which worked pretty well.

The liquid needed for using a clay bar properly has to be slippery like detail spray or what I've used in the past is some Johnson & Johnsons baby shampoo diluted with water in a pump sprayer like 1:50 ratio,doesn't take much:sweet

Clay bar works Excellent on pulling out all the surface crud,making the surface glassy smooth:cool:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a kit, from MEGUIARS comes w/ a clay bar
and some speed wax/spray.

you DONT claybar DRY...you spray a small area of the paint w/ the
"speed wax" which acts as a lubricate...and then you LIGHTLY drag/rub
the bar over the sprayed area in a back and forth motion.

its much easier to do than you'd think...and it does make a hell of
a diff. (assuming your paint isnt etch'd)

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
uumm so the truck should be washed ahead of time (clean) - correct...??-popcorn

then u spray the waxy stuff over a small area and rub the bar all around.. - correct??-popcorn

then what? wipe w/ a rag or is the waxy stuff all 'buffed in' w/ the clay bar..?-popcorn

and whalla, you have a spanking clean waxed lookin truck... - correct..??-popcorn

jhamlin164

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
uumm so the truck should be washed ahead of time (clean) - correct...??-popcorn

then u spray the waxy stuff over a small area and rub the bar all around.. - correct??-popcorn

then what? wipe w/ a rag or is the waxy stuff all 'buffed in' w/ the clay bar..?-popcorn

and whalla, you have a spanking clean waxed lookin truck... - correct..??-popcorn

Hey Red 6 0-no,

I can sympathize with you, my brother! I was EXACTLY where you are a few months ago! I found a product line that works with surgical precision. It's simple and it works! Dial in this website and have a look around:

http://www.properautocare.com/creatsmootpa.html

They do a really great job of explaining things and you can download all the information you will ever need...........and it's free! (the information)

Regards,

Jerry

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steps to clay barring, teh non navy way.

1. Wash vehicle thoroughly. Act like you are getting it ready for a show, or to take out a really hot girl.
2. Use a spray lubricant and spray a small are of the paint on the vehicle.
3. Run the clay bar over the lubricated area. DO NOT clay bar plastic, rubber, or non painted surfaces. You will hate life. TIP, tear off a small piece of the clay bar and us it up before you tear off another small piece. It will last longer, and if you drop it, you will not have to either buy a new one, or risk adding pinstriping to you truck because of mean nastys that it might have picked up. Run the clay bar until you feel it start ot get smooth.
4. After you have clayed the entire vehicle, you need to wash it again. 5. 5. After you wash it you can now wax the vehicle. Before you wax, use your armor all or what ever protectant you prefer. That way, if you do get wax on the rubber or plastic, it will come off easier.

Since this is one part of what I do for a living, you can send me 5 bucks.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
jhamlin164: so u are saying 'that' info. is free, but i DO have to pay YOU..:tounge thanks for the info.....gonna have to check it out

scooter: and your info. is NOT free. gee, thanks.. :sly and thanks for the details although i question the use of armor all as a lube to use w/ the bar. do i really use it?-popcorn i thought it was not supposed to go on painted surfaces.. the small pieces thing - great tip - don't like non factory pin stripes.. and you are also saying i need to wash it again.. :doh: there ain't enough time in the day to spit shine it once let alone twice + a wax job.... friggin 4 doors and short bed. just glad i did not get the long bed..:roflmao :thumbs

CHPMustang

Reaction score
The Excursion takes a good 1-2 hours to clay bar(including roof) but the results are fabulous!:sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58