Cleaner Engine Compartment

BWard

Auctioneer
Reaction score
I am going to do some work under the hood ccv mod, intake mod, BTS Trans/chip what ever else I can get into.
My question is what would be the BEST way to clean the oil and dirt from my engine and engine compartment? Should I leave the engine running?
Thanks for the help.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Simple Green seems to be the most popular cleaning detergent for the engine/area,I'd clean it when it's warm but absoloutely not running.

Be sure to put a couple plastic bags over the Alternator and the Power Steering pump to keep the water out.

Whatabudro seems to have the foo foo clean engine lately,perhaps he'll chime in with his tips:sweet

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Low pressure water for detergent removal, use a scrub brush or clean especially soiled areas twice etc etc....... Dont get overly liberal with the water hose in the IDM/PCM area :deal(near the brake booster) and try not to direct jet any electrical connections:watchout..... with all that said, our engines are prety much water proof.:lmao

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One little tip, Get a can of the tire shine crap. It's not worth anything for your tires but the motor looks sweet. After cleaning it spray that crap EVERWHERE and shut the hood. Open the next day and WOW...been doing this for years on all my rigs

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
As a corrosion and environmental person.
a note about simple green

1. if your starving and thristy, you can drink it..... however you will poop like no bodies business.

2. simple green is great at not killing your pets

3. simple green WILL cause corrosion on aluminium structures, forgings and castings.and high strength steels, if not completely rinsed off and no residue remains

ensure if you use it to clean your engine. RINSE it very very well. then when you think you got it all ..... rinse it again, then one more time, NO STRAIGHT streams
followed by a thorough drying of ALL nooks and crannies, alt bracket, valley etc, anywhere water can sit
Simple green has a component called Di-limolene, its a great surface tension breaker, wetting agent, grease breaking up chemical.
but it also removes hydrogen from alum. and steel components,if allowed to dry on the surface, this results in hydrogen embrittlement, which leads to a failure of said component with NO WARNING. it fails from the inside out.
alt brackets , power stearing brackets etc....

then get some good anti corrosion spray and apply it to all the alum. stuff and wipe off the excess. then treat the rubber and the rest of teh goodies under the hood.

and it wont hurt to go look at the accesories brackets.... espcecially the 7.3 upper alt bracket and drill a few drain holes (.040) in the upper parts of teh bracket where water collects.
boe shield, zip chem 81309, corrosin X, acf-50 etc

http://www.learchem.com/Aviation.htm
this is my favorite.
you can spray the entire engine down, let it soak, hose it off and all teh grease and gunk will be gone (may need some light agitation with a nylon brush on those hard areas) and a nice film of protectant will remain, then just give her a light spray of acf-50 and your good.

Last edited:

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
http://www.learchem.com/Aviation.htm
this is my favorite.
you can spray the entire engine down, let it soak, hose it off and all teh grease and gunk will be gone (may need some light agitation with a nylon brush on those hard areas) and a nice film of protectant will remain, then just give her a light spray of acf-50 and your good.

What about Purple Power from Clean-rite? It was one of only a few degreasers at AutoZone. Ingredients are alkaline detergents and 2-butoxyethanol (111-76-2). After I was done rinsing it off I rinsed it off again. And then one more time for good measure.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I used "purple" somethin once on my Nova. It removed the anodizing from my fuel lines.:eek: Not saying its the same stuff, just be careful.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg