Cleaning engine?

errol

Reaction score
k guys I bought new blue boots and clamps to replace the one thats been blowing off. I want to degrease the engine and give it a good cleaning while i am putting on the new boots. Is gunk the best to use? and also what parts do I need to cover before spraying water. thanks for any feed back:thanks

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have found that Simple Green works as well as Gunk and is easier on the painted surfaces. You need to scrub it a little more than Gunk. Your choice...

Dave

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a car wash do it for me once and they used a simple engine degreaser with high pressure washer. Engine came really clean. Just have to make sure not to get water in the intake. Really the only thing that you have to worry about. I have the intake mod and we just covered my air filter and sprayed away.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
yep, simple green, pressure wash it off, then soak the whole engine compartment with your favorite shiny stuff (i.e. armour all, son of a gun, etc.) and then gentle go over everything with a clean towel, just to knock off the heavy areas of shiny stuff.

looks real good when your done. :thumbs

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive always used the foaming engine cleaners...gunk etc...the ones w/
citrus/orange seem to work well...spray it on...brush lightly (the really
dirty spots) and hose it off.

and like bamma says...spray w/ some fav. shiny stuff (tire shine, armor
all, tire wet etc)

Reaction score
Yall will hate me for this one i just swing by the shop and fire up the steam cleaner. Dont take much degreaser with a diesel burner heatin it up. Or you can call up a few self car washes some of them used heated hot water on their soap cycle call around and see if any of em do.

firemediceric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put plastic grocery bags over the air intake, alternator, glow plug reley and power steering pump. I then take a squirt bottle and use the Castrol purple degreaser followed with a water rinse.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
be careful w/ some of those chemicals...S100 comes to mind...it will
pit and stain aluminum parts

Diesel Kinevel

97 Stroker
Reaction score
I put plastic grocery bags over the air intake, alternator, glow plug reley and power steering pump. I then take a squirt bottle and use the Castrol purple degreaser followed with a water rinse.

Very True! the cap for filling the PS has a vent hole in it. Its best not to get water in there

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58