Cleaning Engine

mjfco

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Iam new to diesels, I have a pressure washer and would like to clean all the oil and grease off of the engine and trany, is there anything I should cover up on the engine and trany besides the batteries, air filter and alternator. also is there any product that i can aply to the nasty and wash it off??

:thanks

psdan000

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt recommend using high pressure but i know people have done it before without problems. what i do is use simple green automotive and spray it over the entire engine (make sure its warm) and let it soak for about 10 minutes and rinse it over with low pressure. when i first did mine i repeated this step several times. ive also heard that using laundry detergent and water in a spray bottle works really well. then take some armor all and spray it all over and let it sit then wipe everything down with a dry towel. just how i do it im sure others have other ways of doing it.

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
I pressure wash mine once inb awhile and have had no trouble in three years But I would advise to stay away from the iIDM and PCM as ford said mine was damage from water (900$) ouch. but I have never had a problem with the actual engine.

TapsMan

smog monster
Reaction score
I cleaned my engine with degreaser and now my power brakes are not working right. Some times when the engine is still cold the power brakes dont work for a second, then they kick in. Maybe I wrecked a seal.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I pretty much stick to a degreaser with low pressure water. Use a stiff bristle veggie brush for the bad areas. I did blow a PS hose last week and it kinda puked everywhere and for that I did fire up the pressure washer, but only sprayed areas where there were no electrical connectors.

3-StarJ.R.

53 year old kid.....
Reaction score
I do the same as Dan with the simple green except I cover the idm, the front of the pcm and icp plug before spraying. Use various width/stiffness of paint and cleaning brushes to loosen the bad goo then light pressure rinse....you can have it looking like this:

97Strokerman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Looks good Jim:sweet . Will look even better with that IC and polished tubes in. When ya gettin them in??:dunno

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
light degreaser
cover the power steering pump cover and all teh other junk mentioned
, stroker is right on, LOW pressure , ggod vlume to rinse away teh dirt and grime
then a good coat of water displacing compound like boe-shield or acf 50

it will wick in and drive out water, especially in connectors.

also you should never put her away wet, fter washing run her at a fast idle or go for a spin, then let her cool

good luck

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
TapsMan said:
I cleaned my engine with degreaser and now my power brakes are not working right. Some times when the engine is still cold the power brakes dont work for a second, then they kick in. Maybe I wrecked a seal.

Sounds like you may have gotten some water in an already tired vacuum pump.

Like said, the main thing is don't put it away wet. I steam clean mine atleast 2 or 3 times a year. Just stay away from electronics as much as possible, and then dry with air hose. I then drive it to warm it up and dry it out. The best thing you can do is put dielectric grease into all the connectors. That does the best job of keeping water out.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I am another one that uses Simple Green and a low pressure hose. I do use the pressure washer underneath the truck and hit the oil pan and such when I am under there but stay away from the upper part of the engine. Too many electronics to short out..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58