Cleaning Intercooler

oi8228oi

another 99
Reaction score
OB NJ, land of traffic, stop lights, stop signs, a
well im going to pick up my 6.0 IC tommorow after work. being that i cam off a truck with over 40k on it i would like to clean it out as best i can. and so i ask whats the best way to clean an intercooler out so when i install it theres no oil or anything else in there. also im told its been sitting for about 2 months. thanks all

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
A good bath at a radiator shop might do it. They can also test it for pinhole leaks while they are at it.

Else, I would use some gasoline or some heavy duty cleaning solvent that is safe for aluminum (I don't know what the 6 liter IC's are made of, but I would think aluminum - someone correct me if I'm worng, please). Mind you, that's what I would use. Gasoline is very volatile, so use at your own risk. Mileage may vary, contents may have settled during shipping, etc etc. you get the picture.

Good luck.

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
Told you not to listen to me...

Seriously though, I'd figure that if you clean it with gasoline, then flush it with a bunch of hot water, and then let it air out for a day or two, the gasoline and traces of it would be gone, no?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have no agrument with you or your methods. I am trying to make a piont that using anything that leaves explosive vapors in the intercooler would blow up a diesel eninge when it is started. There is no throttle plate to stop the air (and vapor) flow. So you would have a possible runaway engine, with no way of shutting it off. You could kill the ignition but that will stop only the metered flow of diesel fuel and not the vapors. Get it???

Dave :D

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
Oh, I get it, Sir. Alas, IMHO I don't think any said vapors will be present. At least not in a sufficient quantity for a runaway engine.

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We use a regular degreaser...so Simple Green would work just fine. Might be good to let it sit a little longer as SG isn't as rough and tough as what we use commercially. Rinse with gobs of water. Install IC and inlet tubing. Don't, I repeat DON'T, hook up outlet side. Start engine and idle until most of the water blows out. Then rev that mutha' up for a bit until last remaining drips and dribbles get blown out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58