Clearence around filter

jeffnzoya

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am kind of wondering if I may be loosing some air with my diy setup.

The factory tubeing off the turbo is connected to a 4'' piece of stainless exhaust pipe about 8 inches long. The pipe is connected with another piece of factory tubeing to a napa 6637 filter that sits where the factory air box was. It's a tight fit. Not only does it look tight with the hood up, when I shut the hood, it pushes the filter further down.

I gues I could take my factory batt. cover off which may help a little.

What do some of you think.

Is it a problem, or not enough to worry about.

Jeff

CHPMustang

Reaction score
When I ran with the 6637 I notched out the bottom of the stock airbox base to facilitate the room needed for the air filter.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW guyz ? I had an Open Air filter set up on my 2K.. It always bothered me when in a Hard Pull, EGTs at 8-900 degrees, at slower MPHs, with reduced air flow under the hood.. about the "Under the Hood" intake air temps. Plus, the sound/noise was get'n to me. (and as we all know, cool air will compress better than warm air)

Sooo.. I went to the FORD, Extreme Service (?) AIS set up. A Bigger snorkel, Bigger Air Box, Much Bigger filter, did the Fender opening Mod, and, did the ZooDad. I noticed No difference in power or performance over the Open Air set up, but EGTs seem to be lower during heavy throttle demands... and it's So Much more Quiet... and it's a Warm'n Fuzzy (for me) knowing this Big 'ol 444cid "Iron Mike", is getting all the intake air it needs, or can use, from an Outside, ambient temp (cooler), source.

Not trying to promote anything here, or Bad Mouth an Open Air set up. But for those of you that tow anything ?
Maybe just.... A Point to Ponder.

:dunno

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg