Clicking noise from wheel

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, 2006 F-350 dually 89k miles. I replaced the front rotors, pads and calipers and the clicking noise was present on left front wheel prior to brake repairs. It went away after repair only to come back. Does it in 2 or 4wd. Ball joints are good. Steering is nice and tight, doesnt look like anything loose. Sounds like a stone stuck in the tread but i checked that. Noise goes away when turning left. Doesnt have any other typical bearing noises associated. Truck is quiet going down the road and you can only hear this clicking noise when going slow and with window down. Checked for backplate on rotor, no contact. Its driving me nuts and I'm hoping its not the hub assembly. Thanks.

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the u-joint on that axleshaft and if it's not that it's the hub. More than likely it's just a bad u-joint. Happens to us wheelers all the time but usually it's click click boom and at that point a faulty u-joint is unmistakeable.

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will check it. I thought the front axle didnt move unless you had the the hubs locked and transfer case in 4wd? I rarely use 4wd, so normally I leave the hubs on auto and drive in 2wd. Thanks

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You should exercise the front end about once a month by locking in the hubs for a day. This will keep everything lubed and functioning. I lock in my hubs during winter for the mud around here.

Dave

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this problem and it turned out to be the small bearing that the fourwheel drive operates on Kind of like a wheel bearing but not like the old style inner and outer bearing its a small thin bearing that your ford dealer can get i replaced mine, they will tell you you need the whole spindle but for 6 bills but you can get the bearing and seals to do the job for about 2 bills.

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i exercised the 4wd yesterday and the clocking stopped. So im guessing its the hub. Probably will need to repair it sooner or later but damn are these expensive.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58