Clogged drain at fuel filter

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a bit of debris blocking my water drain under the fuel filter housing (the one under the truck).
When I rotate the drain, the fuel dribbles out very slowy. I pushed a small wire into the opening and the fuel dribbled out at a better rate- but not like it should.

I noticed there are three small screws at this location (allen head type). Can I remove these screws to pull out the little drain piece to clean it out better?? It would also allow me to drain all the fuel out the lines so I can replace the fuel filters this week.

Need an answer quick!

Thanks
David

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoping someone can chime in... I need to change my filters and hope to figure out if I can remove the separator valve assembly simply by removing the three screws. I'm sure this would allow the fuel to flow out completey. But I want to make sure I don't end up with a part removed that I can't put back in as easily as it was to remove- or have a bunch of timy parts spill out that I can't figure out what to do with :)

MURR3061

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The same thing happened to my 08, I just went to the local autozone and got a vacuum hose that fit under the drain plug and hooked it up the the wetvac. Works like a charm!!:)

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The same thing happened to my 08, I just went to the local autozone and got a vacuum hose that fit under the drain plug and hooked it up the the wetvac. Works like a charm!!:)

Now that's a good idea. I have the hose. Thinking about using a big syringe I have in the pantry (I use it to inject seasonings in chicken/turkey) to draw out the fluid.

Don't worry I won't reuse it for food ;)

David

BTW- did you notice the 3 screws where the drain valve is located?? I'm pretty sure I can remove the assembly for cleaning. I just want to make sure there would be no surprises first.

First_ford

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my 08 also. I gave it a quick shot of shop air. and let it completely drain to get any crud out. although the syringe does sound that it would have been less of a mess.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14