clonking/thomping

jsaga

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just installed a fabtech 5.5 lift with edlebrok extreem shocks into my f250 2002 super cab desiel and ever since I have a clonk over lite rough terain,its worse when im turning ethier left or right.I checked all bolts tightened and tightend again.Shocks are ok,I can jump up and down on the front bumper and no noise.Checked tires for play all ok.When driving steering is tight and striat.It seems only @ low speed when pulling into a parking lot ,rail road tracks,speed bump,small pot holes I get clonk clonk in the front end and seems to be center or drivers side of the FRONT END.Cant pin point it .Called fabtech tech team and they dont no.So I need help!!! Can it be the trac bar? Or ball joints.Did any one experince this before.Please help my baby 4x4 deseil.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same clunk in my 02 F350 after I installed my skyjacker lift. I later installed an skyjacker adjustable trac bar and the clunking noises disappeared. I think that the stock trac bar even with the relocation brackets doesn't keep the axle aligned properly especially when turning and that's where the clunk comes from.

jsaga

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I will try it ,cant find any thing else.Patric/What made you try the trac bar?

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through the same thing couldn't figure out where the noise was coming from and after checking everything else (bearings, ball joints, tierod ends, u-bolts, etc.) it was the only thing really left that was a moving component. Skyjacker, Superlift, and Pro-comp all make adjustable trac bars. I went with skyjacker because it matched the rest of my suspension.

Last edited:

jsaga

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Same thing here,nobody can find a thing wrong,Today fabtect claimed its my body mount bolts,Cheked it all ok,Called them back then they said check your leaf spring bushings ,Checked it and all ok, I will purchase a adjustable trac bar and try it,Fabtech cliams thats not it they never had a situation but they want me to call back ASAP after I install the new bar.How much was your adjustable link? Was your trac bar loose? Mine is super tight.You must be happy now,Ihope this works,Crazzzzzzzzzzy HA.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Granted my truck is stock, I had a similar "bump" noise problem for a while. Turned out to be the rubber bushings in the sway bar end links were shot, replaced & no more noise.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My adjustable trac bar was around $230. My stock trac bar was not loose but I think it seemed to be binding. I have heard of the body mounts making noise but only if the loose or the bolts are broken. Also if the spring bushings were out of it the truck would wander all over the road. I'm happy but my truck rides like a tank anyway due to the 38 inch tires and 10 inches of lift. Let us know how you make out.

jsaga

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
COOL I WILL LET ALL KNOW,THANKS FOR ALL.

01SMOKINSD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The clunking your describing sounds exactly like the noise im getting in my frontend. I dont have a lift and I just recently replaced both front swaybar end links, they were shot. Now the noise im getting is only when I hit my brakes. I checked all the calipers to make sure there werent any broken or loose bolts and everything is tight. Ive checked out the front end and everything there is tight as well. I was wondering if it was the trac bar making the noise, but the guys Ive talked to about this doubt that it is. I dont have a clue where else to look. If it helps any the noise started after having to make an emergency stop and sliding on pavement. Just wondered if maybe it stressed the bar and now the bushings are shot. Dont really want to spend the money on a new one if its not the problem. Thanks for any help anyone may offer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg