clonking/thomping

jsaga

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I hear ya but try it,FABTECH trac bar 166.00 well worth the try should have it sat, will install quick Then we shall see. ASK PATRICK THIS GUY SEEMS TO KNOW HIS STUF.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smokinsd, You replaced the sway bar end links did you also replace the sway bar mounts? Generally when the links are gone the mounts are too or not far behind. I have also seen the front and/or rear leaf spring pins shear off as well. Just a possibility.

01SMOKINSD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge the spring pins have not sheard off. I did think of it but havent dropped the axle to check, only did a visual and tried to turn the top nut with a wrench. I was wondering about the sway bar mounts though. The clunking seems to be less frequent when there seems to be water on the road. I was just wondering if its a possibility that the water acts as kinda a lube on the mounts and if they are dry and actually binding somewhat. Does anyone have a reccomendation for replacement away bar mounts. I had to use factory replacements for the end links, because i didnt know that you could actually press out the bushings and use the energy suspension replacement parts. Thanks!

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go with the energy suspension poly mounts or buy the kit with the link bushings and keep them for spares. On second thought I think that energy mounts/links are only sold as a kit.

Last edited:

01SMOKINSD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help I think Ill try the mounts. Luckily I saved the old end and am going to try and press out the old bushings. With any luck Ill be able to throw in the new bushings and set em on the shelf for spares. Thanks again!

jsaga

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Could be, go to susspensionperformance.com,click on track bars, they claim the stock ones bend and never to use the stock one in a lift,so its possible you may have a slight off set.

jsaga

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
HEAD LIGHT ADJUSTMET?

HOW CAN I ADJUST MY HEAD LIGHTS FROM BLINDING ALL,THEY DO NOT HAVE TO MUCH ADJUSTMENY IN THE 2002 SUPERDUTY,ANY TIPS?I TO GET THEM TO GO DOWN.

Calvin04

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here.
My 04 f250SD 6L is doing the same thing. It mainly makes a clunk which I can feel in my feet when I'm slowing to a stop, regular braking. It also makes a rattling sound on uneven ground, sounds like front passenger side.

I would think if all of these trucks are doing the same thing, they should recall them!

crandallford

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have been having this same problem as well. It was making a moaning noise and it felt like some one was hitting the floor board with a hammer.... Replaced the sway bar end links and it seems to have cured the feeling on the floorboard but still have the moaning. If I disconnect the sway bar and take it for a drive, no noise, no thump, all is good, put it back on the noise comes back... Patrick you had mentioned changing the sway bar monts as well, are those the mounts on the actual bar itself? Maybe that will take care of the moaning??????

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here.
My 04 f250SD 6L is doing the same thing. It mainly makes a clunk which I can feel in my feet when I'm slowing to a stop, regular braking. It also makes a rattling sound on uneven ground, sounds like front passenger side.

I would think if all of these trucks are doing the same thing, they should recall them!

I have been having this same problem as well. It was making a moaning noise and it felt like some one was hitting the floor board with a hammer.... Replaced the sway bar end links and it seems to have cured the feeling on the floorboard but still have the moaning. If I disconnect the sway bar and take it for a drive, no noise, no thump, all is good, put it back on the noise comes back... Patrick you had mentioned changing the sway bar monts as well, are those the mounts on the actual bar itself? Maybe that will take care of the moaning??????

sway bar bushings or ball joints (popping sound).

the factory sway bar bushings in the drop links are CRAP...they
tear...and most that ive seen torn are on the lower portion
of the drop link on the passengers side.

replacement (red or black) polly bushings from energy suspension
(available at summit racing & jegs) are about 35bucks for the set,
including the bushings that go 'round the bar @ the front/axle.

they need to be greased (periodically) though...or theyll squeek and
moan.

links to the part numbers and suppliers are in my "mods" link below
in my signature.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg