clusters and CPS

oi8228oi

another 99
Reaction score
OB NJ, land of traffic, stop lights, stop signs, a
is there any way that the CPS could be causing my instrument cluster to be going nuts! i dont think it could be the connections in the back of the cluster being that i RTVed the to the cluster thinking it was them coming lose... its only a problem with the stuff controlled my the center connector... its driving me NUTS:crumm and taunting me:bootyshak :bootyshak with my gas gauge bouncing:woo up and down every 30 seconds, and that low fuel, and the water temp lights going off and on... i just cant take it!!!!!:doh: ..... it does seem to happen when i hit pot holes or go over tracks... could the RTV be to elasticy causeing the connector to lossen enoungh to drive me this crazy :propeller ....

PLEASE HELP

oi8228oi

another 99
Reaction score
OB NJ, land of traffic, stop lights, stop signs, a
I would check the copper traces for corrosion

theres no corrosion on my copper, its clean as a whistle.... thats why im going nuts.... and i cant find any grounds, that could be loose....i was told to use epoxy buy another member of this site, but several local people told me to use RTV, cause its not so permenant..... think its moving tooo much???? should i try the epoxy? i did use a conciderable amout of Clear RTV around the outside of the connector... i think im gonna get those Edelbrock IAS shocks for my truck, its just such a rough ride, maybe itll help...

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check the OTHER end? The actual plug instead of the traces? Thats a pretty tight fit and I find it hard to believe its "falling out". Perhaps the contact pins on the connector need to be flared out a little?

Most of the dash is somewhat computer controlled, especially all the lights. Maybe water getting down the A-pillar and onto the computer or main harness connector? Thats really reaching tho, if you can recreate it with bumps in the road.

I've just never read about those connectors going bad, and I have had my dash out a dozen times with no problems like yours.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58