Question Clutch Adjustment?

steve n ky

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Have a 96 F450 with 63k miles, just replaced the slave cylinder. Now I'm wondering if there is any adjustment on this clutch. Seems like you really have a long stroke before it disengages.

Thanks

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No adjustment on the clutch itself. First thing to check is to see if there is play between the clutch master cylinder rod and where it connects to the pedal linkage. There is a bushing there that is notorious for going bad. Also, if there is play there check the rod end to make sure it has not worn the hole oval. Next, check for play in the main brake/clutch box shaft bushings. If all that is good, make sure the new slave and system are bled. I like to do it this way: unclip the slave from the bellhousing and let it hang by the line. Disconnect the clutch master rod from the pedal linkage. remove the reservoir cap and diaphram. Cycle the slave slowly by hand about 10 times making sure that everything is going uphill to the reservoir. After all that you should be good. The only other thing I can think of is that the early slaves and masters had smaller bores in them (and the slaves were prone to cracking at the line boss/body junction). Later ones had larger bores. If you got a larger bore one, it wouldn't work well. The larger masters had a slightly different configuration on where the line came out of it, so a new line was needed too. Cheers!

steve n ky

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I feel like I got it bled properly, just seems like theres a lot of travel before it disengages. But it was like this before the clutch slave failed. I'll check the linkage and the bushings.

Thanks for you help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58