Clutch and Driveshaft limits?

colotow

Just playin' in the sand
Reaction score
OK I'm new, and I've been reading back, not finding the answers to the latest questions I'm dreaming up.

1- What torque/Hp can the stock clutch and driveshaft safely handle?

2- Are any of the aftermarket clutches limited as to capacity?

I'm beginning to upgrade, and planning to getanewer/higher powered chip or programmer, and don't want to smoke/break expensive parts i can upgrade first

I'm not going to be sled pulling or dragging. It's a daily driver, a toy, and will be pulling a 20' flatbed, usually under 11,000 lbs. I want smooth engagement, longevity, and high torque capacity, I'll pay for quality and don't mind a bit more pedal pressure to get it.

As for the driveshaft, at what power level will I outgrow a u-joint upgrade, and need to consider a custom driveline? And/or a driveshaft loop?

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno if you have 1350 series or 1410 series drivelines. but the 1410's can handle alot of abuse and power.

the stock clutch is marginal in holding ability. LUK is a nice clutch if your not getting crazy and is rated aroudn 275 hp I beleive unless it was changed.

there is a company called south bend, they have the bling clutches that will handle anything you can put into them. check out some vendors on here, you will find them.

black_cloud_stroker00

GO BIG RED!!!
Reaction score
my stock clutch could not hold up to a 100hp programmer. So I installed the South Bend Con-O (rated at 350hp) and with the mods in my sig I have no problem putting the power to the ground.

The pedal was a little smoother than stock, and was even easier to push in. I just removed the spring at the top of the clutch pedal. As far as u-joints and the drive shaft, I don't know what they can handle. I can say i have had no problems with either. I even did a tractor pull this past summer. You shouldn't have a problem since you won't be going crazy with the HP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg