Clutch Bleeding

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a problem with a dead spot at the top of my clutch pedal. For the first 1-2" it feels like the only resistance is the spring on the clutch pedal. Then, especially when its cold out, it feels like it grinds a little bit going into gears. It's done this since i replaced the clutch a few months back.

I'm thinking that while I had the tranny out the little pushrod on the slave seemed like it extended out pretty far and I had to push it back in, possibly allowing some air in? How is this system bled?

I searched the forum for "bleed" and "bleeding" but i didn't get any results. Anyone know a link to a guide or know what's the best way to do it? Mine's an early 99 with plastic lines and no bleeder screws as far as I can see.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
pump the snot out of the pedal.. like 50 times..
then rest it
then pump it again about 50 times..
works on most hydraulic clutches, including Ford, GM & Avoid

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pump the snot out of the pedal.. like 50 times..
then rest it
then pump it again about 50 times..
works on most hydraulic clutches, including Ford, GM & Avoid

Really? That's not too bad at all. I'll let you know if it changes anything.

JRNOLL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Push the clutch pedal down very slowly then ,when at the floor sidestep the pedal. do this 6 or 7 times and see if it helps.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Push the clutch pedal down very slowly then ,when at the floor sidestep the pedal. do this 6 or 7 times and see if it helps.

oooooooooooooooooo wouldn't do this... may pop the pushrod out of the slave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't a New clutch pedal slave cylinder assembly come Pre-bled, and ready to simply R&R ? Seems I read that on here once.

:dunno

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Joe, that would be correct
the OP thinks his might have gulped some air when he overextended it..

in which case, bleeding it and having that work, would be much cheaper than $200+ for a new one..

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe, that would be correct
the OP thinks his might have gulped some air when he overextended it..

in which case, bleeding it and having that work, would be much cheaper than $200+ for a new one..

:eek: Roger That.. on the 200 bucks !

But even at that... being a 99.. thats alota clutch'n. Sometimes it might be easier to Bite the Bullet, than to try'n Dodge it ?

Just a thought. :dunno

commanderjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had to replace mine once and noticed that happening right before it went out. My guess is that his is nearly shot.

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced all of my clutch hydraulic parts and it did NOT come pre-bled. I had read that it did too and was looking forward to the ease of replacement. Instead, a day and a half later I finally got it properly bled and operating. I am a PRO at removing and installing clutch parts now!! It is easier to take the whole set up out from the reservoir all the way to the slave cylinder and get it as vertical as you can and bleed it by hand while the air bubbles are allowed to flow upward. I used a syringe to pump as much fluid into all the parts before I attached them together. It was a bear, trust me. I was frustrated and tired when it was all over. I even tried using my MityVac but the combination of all the pieces and such made it too difficult to actually flow some fluid from one end to the other. Good luck! Have patience!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14