Clutch may be toast. 6sp manual F250

chismpi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Came home from an errand in my F250 7.3 with 6spd manual tranny.

Parked and proceeded to shift into neutral. Clutch pedal went all the way to floor and stuck there. Gear shift lever can be shifted into all gears without depressing the clutch. I raised the clutch pedal up from the floor by hand. The engine cranks in the neutral position,but when you shift into 1st it dies.and the clutch pedal sticks in the down position.

Its going to be towed to the transmission shop tomorrow. 160,000 miles and first major problem.

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the slave cylinder go out in my truck a little while back. Clutch would go to the floor and stay there. I couldn't shift into gear though. Hopefully it's a cheaper fix than a new clutch for ya. Best of luck.

chismpi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Clutch update

I had the slave cylinder go out in my truck a little while back. Clutch would go to the floor and stay there. I couldn't shift into gear though. Hopefully it's a cheaper fix than a new clutch for ya. Best of luck.

I got a call back from the repair shop late yesterday. Thay say the clutch has about 50% life left. How they can tell that,I don't know. They said that something is loose in the transmission,that's causing the problem.

It sure does sound like it might be a slave cylinder failure. I think I'm going to have them replace the clutch while they got the transmission torn apart.

I bought this truck new in 1999(2000 model). I had to replace a water pump at 135,000. That's the only repair I've Needed.

It may be time to spend a little money on my beloved F-250 Diesel 4X4. I am constantly reminded that It may be cheaper to keep her everytime I visit a New car dealer and look at the prices on a new F-250 equiped like mine.

MURR3061

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good luck, keep us posted on what went wrong. i have a 6.4 with the 6speed, and have been questioning the through out bearing due to noise and sometimes hard shifting after it gets warm. does your truck run on a hydrolic system to?

chismpi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The final analysis

I went by the transmission shop today. Really nice people. They found that the problem was the input shaft and bearing(Not throw out bearing) inside the transmission. They're in the process of getting everthing needed to put it back together.

They're pretty busy. Every bay is full. The clutch assy looked good as they previously stated. No surface grinding needed. That saves a $100.00 alone.

I'm replacing the clutch anyway. Cost estimate...Clutch,$1000.00 plus what ever they charge for the input shaft and bearing plus labor.

I may get out under $2000.00. At least I'm hoping. I really can't complain with 160,000 miles the transmission. If I get another 160,000 on this repair I'll be happy.

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
No better time to replace the clutch than when the tranny is out anyway. Saves pulling it out twice.

2x's ^
my first clutch went at 130,000 and I replaced it with a luk pedal feels more like a cars clutch than a truck it has a higher clamp force but a lighter let off. so far i'm at 225,000 and pulling a 37' 5er 11000#

chismpi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
2x's ^
my first clutch went at 130,000 and I replaced it with a luk pedal feels more like a cars clutch than a truck it has a higher clamp force but a lighter let off. so far i'm at 225,000 and pulling a 37' 5er 11000#

jestersv... I'm getting a Luk clutch.It's recommended by the repair shop.

I found out the dealer cost for a rebuilt tranny installed is $6000.00 plus tax.

I'm getting it done by a transmission expert for half the price.

Wish I could do it myself. You pay for what you don't know.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14