Question Clutch repair advice

FarmerCharlie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
* I'd betcha.. that's what has happened.

Joe

Keep us Posted ?
I'm thinking that too. I have done some reading on the forum regarding replacing with the standard clutch or switching to a Luk single mass flywheel/clutch. Interesting discussions.

I wish I had more time to research that option, but I have some trees to plant next week, and spring just won't wait for me to do the research I usually do before parting with money. :)

I sure love forums like this. I normally just lurk and learn. Too bad I don't know enough to be able to contribute.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that too. I have done some reading on the forum regarding replacing with the standard clutch or switching to a Luk single mass flywheel/clutch. Interesting discussions.

I wish I had more time to research that option, but I have some trees to plant next week, and spring just won't wait for me to do the research I usually do before parting with money. :)

I sure love forums like this. I normally just lurk and learn. Too bad I don't know enough to be able to contribute.

We hear ya (trees to plant)

Which ever way you halfta go.. in the discussions you've read.. to save any future Down Time ? Have the mech(s) check the tranny in-put shaft bearing.. for the reasons mentioned ?

:dunno

Joe

FarmerCharlie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
We hear ya (trees to plant)

Which ever way you halfta go.. in the discussions you've read.. to save any future Down Time ? Have the mech(s) check the tranny in-put shaft bearing.. for the reasons mentioned ?

:dunno

Joe
I'll get them to save the parts, and try to take some pictures.
Thanks again for all the help.

Charlie

FarmerCharlie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I talked to the mechanic at the original shop, and I decided to let them do the work. He seemed pretty confident that it was not the slave cylinder. They are going to put in a Motorcraft OE clutch kit ($659.95), clutch fork ($41.37), pivot bushing ($8.48). Total with labor ($1321). The mechanic said he doesn't usually have the flywheel resurfaced, but will check it. Normally I would do a little more checking, but just don't have the time for that right now.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to the mechanic at the original shop, and I decided to let them do the work. He seemed pretty confident that it was not the slave cylinder. They are going to put in a Motorcraft OE clutch kit ($659.95), clutch fork ($41.37), pivot bushing ($8.48). Total with labor ($1321). The mechanic said he doesn't usually have the flywheel resurfaced, but will check it. Normally I would do a little more checking, but just don't have the time for that right now.

Ya gota do what ya gota do.. but those prices, in total, are not far off of what I paid for the LUK set-up I have... with the upgraded flywheel, fork and pivot bearing.

But if Time is critical.. It Is what it is. Hopefully, Ford may have upgraded their parts too.

Best of luck ;tu (on the Trees too ;))

FarmerCharlie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Keep us Posted ?
The problem turned out to be a broken bracket that holds the three large springs in place. The big spring came out, and I guess it wedged in and prevented the clutch from disengaging. The small spring and a couple of other pieces also were in the clutch housing. I'm surprised that it made no noise when it came apart. The arm was OK, but the mechanic replaced it anyway. He said the flywheel looked like new, and he didn't want to take any metal off for no reason.
IMG_4914_crop_800w.jpg

IMG_4914_crop2_800w.jpg

I'm back in business, and the truck is off right now hauling a load of dirt for a friend.

Thanks,
Charles

commanderjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OEM clutches are known to sling springs. That's what happened to mine and my mechanic (who works almost exclusively on Powerstrokes) said it's not uncommon. I've had no issues since going to a Southbend clutch and it's much stouter.:sweet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58