Clutch Slippage

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Sorry I've been such a stranger. I was hoping I could get some advice/experience on my new clutch that is slipping. I replaced it last year. It started slipping in high gear under load about 2 months ago. I disassebled the master/slave setup to see if that was the problem. It wasn't.

I put in a Southbend Con-O with a 13" disc and new flywheel. There is no oil leaking as far as i can tell. The Con-O says it is good to 350 horsepower. I have a 75 horsepower Juice with attitude, so I cannot imagine that I have overstressed the clutch holding power.

Anyone else have any ideas? Or did i just get a bum clutch that won't hold wwith a 75 horse chip and I have to replace it again? Any experience withthe con-o?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
How bad is it slipping? I don't know about the southbend but I have heard that with some clutches(mainly big trucks)that at times they need to be slipped a little to get the glaze off of them. I had a 1999 600Cat hooked to a 18 speed and when it started slipping a little they told me to set the brakes, put it in high gear, ease out the clutch and hold it to the wood for 20 seconds. It was stinky but the clutch worked great for another 200,000 miles. I would not recommend this without someone that knows about southbend clutches telling you too but if it is just slipping a little it might just need to be worked a little harder. Twice last summer my clutch slipped a little and I thought it was time to change it out but after sticking my foot in it and letting it slip for a few seconds it was good to go without any more slippage. I you do end up changing it out I would go to a Con-OFE rather than the Con-O. I have heard that the extra couple of hundred bucks is worth it. I have a Con-OFE on my Christmas list.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
How bad is it slipping? I don't know about the southbend but I have heard that with some clutches(mainly big trucks)that at times they need to be slipped a little to get the glaze off of them. I had a 1999 600Cat hooked to a 18 speed and when it started slipping a little they told me to set the brakes, put it in high gear, ease out the clutch and hold it to the wood for 20 seconds. It was stinky but the clutch worked great for another 200,000 miles. I would not recommend this without someone that knows about southbend clutches telling you too but if it is just slipping a little it might just need to be worked a little harder. Twice last summer my clutch slipped a little and I thought it was time to change it out but after sticking my foot in it and letting it slip for a few seconds it was good to go without any more slippage. I you do end up changing it out I would go to a Con-OFE rather than the Con-O. I have heard that the extra couple of hundred bucks is worth it. I have a Con-OFE on my Christmas list.

Interesting thought. i am VERY easy on clutches. So is my wife. I wonder if we did glaze it up. Maybe i'll run a little hard on it for a couple days to see if it sets up. What can it hurt?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
What can it hurt?

Since you are fixing to toss it anyway nothing unless it is under warranty(1 year).

southbend site said:
Q. Why is my clutch slipping?
A. Clutch slipping could be caused by the following:

Flywheel not machined. Grind it with a Flywheel Grinder Machine
Improper Linkage adjustment
Release Bearing lash adjusted too tight
Worn Facings
Cover bolts loose
Oil on Facings
Weak or broken diaphragm
Glazed facings

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
So I put it in 4th gear, gave it some throttle, and with my foot on the brake, slipped the hell out of the clutch until i smelled it.

So far, i have not been able to get it to slip. That could be because the cold wet weather here doesn't allow for enough tire grab to cause a slip. But i don't think so. I think it glazed and just needed some abuse to re-seat. Here's to hoping. Thanks Crumm...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14