clutches

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
need to know what the best clutch everybody seems to be going with and happy with. my goal someday is to have a 1000 ft lbs so thats what I will be needing this time. I think the one I just tore up was a rebuilt or cheap one. thanks lee

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the stock equiv from Valair. Great service, shiping, price, and product. Couldn't be happier. It's a SMFW. I don't have that much power, so I'm not sure how it'd handle it (but they've got lots stronger clutches than this too)..

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with a LUK. Flywheel, clutch & throw out bearing. Had it in for 50+K and IMO, it's much better than the OEM stuf. No chatter, very smooth, quick feel to it.

Which ever one you go with ? Be sure and check the Tranny in-put shaft bearing. As I understand it, when/while the OEM is going south , it also can take the bearing with it. Mine did.

Joe

Last edited:

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
OK thanks for the information, can that be done without disassmbling the trans? thanks again

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK thanks for the information, can that be done without disassmbling the trans? thanks again

;tu yer welcome

I had my clutch R&R done at a shop, but I think the spec check can be done without tear-down, but replacement needs a tear-down. Maybe someone with more manual tranny knowledge than me can Chime in ??

One other thing ? >>Most<< aftermarket clutch assembies come with an >>improved<< throwout bearing set up.. be sure you get that upgrade.

The guy that did mine showed me the difference in design, strength and quality before he installed the LUK.. OEM was purdy "Chincey".. when compared.

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
i have a valair kevlar/ceramic. i cant even make it blink with everything i have thrown at it. was slipping my old LUK with stage 1's and 15,000 miles, but this one is A LOT better. little grabby, but still backs smooth with a trailer. great clutch with great customer service.

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
i have a valair kevlar/ceramic. i cant even make it blink with everything i have thrown at it. was slipping my old LUK with stage 1's and 15,000 miles, but this one is A LOT better. little grabby, but still backs smooth with a trailer. great clutch with great customer service.

Hey thanks, I was curious what is the hot pedal mod? what does it do for you? that sounds like the clutch I'm looking for cause the one I have was the grabbiest thing I have ever driven I could back up smooth for nothing. Just had to let it catch and dump it pretty much, Not worth a rats ass for back into a trailer.

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
Call Dan Vallance at valair clutch and talk to him about what clutch you need. he is a great guy to and his clutches are great.

On a side note, the hot pedal mod is where you bend out the tab for the idle validation switch until it clicks as soon as you touch the pedal, then you have to drill out the holes for the TPS slightly so you can clock it a little bit and then it will send more voltage and make the trottle response much better. its A LOT better than the stock throttle pedal, but you have to be REALLY careful with the TPS so you don't damage it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14