COKING & Turbo

85buggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm bad haven't been on this site recently. I have a 06 Harley Dav 350 crew-cab 32.000 mi on truck at the time of these problems . Last summer May had problems with engine light coming. The dealer did a turbo rebuild in June said the Turbo was Coked up . I figured fine its fixed but the Next trip I went on same light came on went to a dealer in that state (Michigan) said they weren't sure why the light came on probably turbo sticking so they reset it . On my coming home trip from Mi to OH the same thing happened I re routed my self and pulled into the dealer with my trailer and everything cause I wasn't happy. They checked it out said they would replace the turbo come back tomorrow there was only 34,000 mi on the truck. My previous truck was a 03 6.0 dually and I never had any turbo problems . This was going to be my last truck I ever bought new when I retired in 06. I like this truck cause its unusual the Harley stuff and I've added a lot of little goodies, Is this turbo issue going to haunt me and this COKING any insite on this whole issue would be appreciated (OHIO ) someone send us some warmer temps.........

kbud14

I will never learn
Reaction score
NO KIDDING, IM COLD! Harley truck, Medina, ever been to Gino's? (sorry, cant help with your problem). I live in Wooster.

550roofer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you ride it hard and get it hot before u turn it off, cuz this is bad

what gauges do you have, egt?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
When I hear the term "Coking" I am envisioning oil burning sub stoich and leaving a carbon deposit. With that said for you to have coke on your turbine you have to have an oil present in the exhaust stream. How has the dealership addressed this with you?

550roofer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oil coking as i understand it happens with the cooling oil. it sits in the red hot turbo gizmos and boils or something and then the deposits stick to everything. oil degrades i guess, further complicating things. so when a turbo timer is added, it times 15 minutes and lets the truck run after the key leaves the ignition. some work with temperature gauges and let the truck run until a preset temp is reached.

anyone else agree?

do u have any gauges!!!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
oil coking as i understand it happens with the cooling oil. it sits in the red hot turbo gizmos and boils or something and then the deposits stick to everything.

anyone else agree?

Yes, I agree, my question was......."where is this oil coming from and how is the dealership addressing it?"

85buggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my problem

They say its caused from the exhaust and not oil , how about fuel tank leaks anybody have those ? This leak was some hose on top the fuel tank. Anyways I don't have any gauges other then stock. I was given the impression this coking was a problem there was a service bulletin I read somewhere about how to clean the turbo. Tell me about the cool down, when after all driving or just highway and for how long do I do this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58