COKING & Turbo

dpantazis

Reaction score
i wish people would not give conjecture on why this happens causing people to go on a wild goose chase. if you don't know, then sit back down and keep quite.

coking is clogging of the intake and/or the exhaust componets due to soot and ash, cemented by excess oil.

1. coking of the turbo and the intake occur on diesel engines with EGR systems because of the design.

2. the EGR stands for Exhaust Gas recirculation. the mix in a little exhaust gas into the intake to reduce Nox emissions.

3. the oil vapors in the recirculated air stream carry soot with them.

4. the soot/oil mixture in the vapors will condensate out from the HOT gasses when introduced to a colder environment.

5. sitting at idle is the WORST thing to do for the variable vane geometry turbo. you WILL clog the mechanism by not exercising the turbo. think italian tune up.

6. Ford will try to sell you as a cause of this, that you are filling up your truck with crappy fuel. its a horse pockey argument. don;t accept it.

7. the coking issue has nothing to do with the turbo bearing. shutting down a hot turbo prematurely will cause other problems but not these.

when they have all this apart, have them check the the EGR system, including the cooler and valve. my money is on a faulty valve. either the seat is fouled or the valve is bad, remaining open for longer than it has to. the cooler is probably plugged up to.

what is your oil consumption like?

i know it sucks to say, but you are not the first and you are not the last. and fords are not the only ones to suffer from this.

dp

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'm gonna agree with DP & El Jefe on this

Oil consumption is a tough issue to repair via "internet mechanic"

"coking" from oil consumption would not happen over the course of a few days (trip into & out of Michigan) without the engine going through a buttload of oil.

coking from soot in the exhaust, again, is going to take more time than what has elapsed. But going with DP's theory, the EGR should be sticking also.

I'll add something else in the discussion... is this truck chipped or reprogrammed?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
coking is clogging of the intake and/or the exhaust componets due to soot and ash, cemented by excess oil.

1. coking of the turbo and the intake occur on diesel engines with EGR systems because of the design.

5. sitting at idle is the WORST thing to do for the variable vane geometry turbo. you WILL clog the mechanism by not exercising the turbo. think italian tune up.

when they have all this apart, have them check the the EGR system, including the cooler and valve. my money is on a faulty valve. either the seat is fouled or the valve is bad, remaining open for longer than it has to. the cooler is probably plugged up to.

dp

This is exactly where I was trying to lead this conversation.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm bad haven't been on this site recently. I have a 06 Harley Dav 350 crew-cab 32.000 mi on truck at the time of these problems . Last summer May had problems with engine light coming. The dealer did a turbo rebuild in June said the [Turbo was Coked up .] I figured fine its fixed but the Next trip I went on same light came on went to a dealer in that state (Michigan) said they weren't sure why the light came on probably turbo sticking so they reset it . On my coming home trip from Mi to OH the same thing happened I re routed my self and pulled into the dealer with my trailer and everything cause I wasn't happy. They checked it out said they would replace the turbo come back tomorrow there was only 34,000 mi on the truck. My previous truck was a 03 6.0 dually and I never had any turbo problems . This was going to be my last truck I ever bought new when I retired in 06. I like this truck cause its unusual the Harley stuff and I've added a lot of little goodies, Is this turbo issue going to haunt me and this COKING any insite on this whole issue would be appreciated (OHIO ) someone send us some warmer temps.........

I was only responding to: [Turbo was Coked up.] Through Conjective reasoning, I guess it was the EGR that should have been addresed, in depth. :hail ;) :)

However, last Tuesday, I >tryed< to rebuild a 7.3 turbo for a local Sled Puller. It was Toast. Lost oil press more than half way thru a pull. Shaft had a burnt residue on it.. could that have been Coke ?? From High Temps ? Or just Conjecture.. on my part ?? ;) :)

I, for one member, like any other member.. won't sit back and be quiet .. (if that part was directed to me.)

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oil coking as i understand it happens with the cooling oil. it sits in the red hot turbo gizmos and boils or something and then the deposits stick to everything. oil degrades i guess, further complicating things. so when a turbo timer is added, it times 15 minutes and lets the truck run after the key leaves the ignition. some work with temperature gauges and let the truck run until a preset temp is reached.

anyone else agree?

Yes, I agree.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
However, last Tuesday, I >tryed< to rebuild a 7.3 turbo for a local Sled Puller. It was Toast. Lost oil press more than half way thru a pull. Shaft had a burnt residue on it.. could that have been Coke ?? From High Temps ? Or just Conjecture.. on my part ?? ;) :)
coke looks like ash, but it's baked on rock-friggin-hard

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
coke looks like ash, but it's baked on rock-friggin-hard

That's exactly what this was, grey/brown in color. I've seen it before on turbo shafts on equipment that wasnt PMd properly. Valves, Rings, just about anything that can get exposed to high or extreme temps can "Coke", in some form or another.

In my experiences anyway.

Joe

I keep forget'n to X my sig:rant :rant

Last edited:

85buggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone

I am running stock no programmer I want to hold them (FORD) to the 100,000 mi engine & turbo since I've had issues already. I have no oil consumption problems what so ever. My truck just ran out of the 36,000 mi warranty. The Turbo has been replaced with a new one at 34,000 mi, The new one seems a lot better a few problems I had with the old turbo. This may not make any sense but the engine fan used come on all the time when it was Hot outside very loud that went away . The other problem which had to be turbo related when I would haul my enclosed trailer with the buggy inside out of the storage lot I had to go a very steep RR grade with the old turbo I didn't think I would make it over, the new one (turbo) like a new truck...
That Gino's bar I 've been by there many times I would have driven you home for ????$20 bucks just kidding

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Coking occurs when the turbo has shut down hot. Oil cooks between the shaft and the bearing and in extreme cases builds up inside the bearing housing.

What the service bulletin is addressing is carbon or soot build up in the VGT mechanisms of the turbo.

How's your air filter look? What about coolant level?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl