COLD FIRE-UP SURGE

Jesse East

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 99 7.3 Crew Dually F 350 (only 80K miles) has always fired up smoothly during the winter months here in Virginia until this winter.

Granted that we have some cold days in JAN (15f-20f in the am), but usually a couple cycles on the heaters is enough to get the truck going without any appreciable surge. If I know that it will be colder, I will use the plug in electric heater for 2-3 hours and the truck fires up smoothly.

This year when it is really cold, even with 3 or 4 ignition cycles on the heater, the engine fires up OK, but the RPMs will surge up & down every second, until it warms up----about a minute.

The only thing that is different this winter is that I had to replace the CPS sensor last spring, and I had to splice some wires leading to the sensor that were frayed from the diesel vibration---but the engine runs well once cranked after that fix.

Any guesses about what might be happening? Jesse East

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I had a surge or the romps, as I call them when I started first thing in the mornings. It would go away after about a minute. This was caused by 15W40 Motorcraft oil. I switched to 5W40 Syn Rotella oil and no more romps. It was the weight of the cold oil in the cold morning.

Dave

White Buffalo

TDP Pit crew
Reaction score
Schaeffer's synthetic 5W-40 or synthetic 15W-40, Chevron Delo 400 & Rotella synthetic 5W-40 all do a great job in the 7.3L. and will keep the romp romp at bay.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I found that a H/X line eliminated my romping even on the coldest mornings using 15W-40 Rotella T.

Jesse East

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Whats a H/X line? Where can I get one? Is the install easy?

Truck has always used 15-40 Rotella T, and I just noticed the Romp this winter.

Thanks, Jesse East

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14