Cold morning and high idle stays on

mille-ryan

Loco Parts Changer
Reaction score
Its been fairly cold here in North Platte and a couple times after I get in the truck the high idle comes back on when drving.My question is this normal if its normal too come on again if the trucks too cold.Its pretty loud, and only happens in a slow 30 -35 mph zone.If I stomp on the gas or accel to get or 1000 rpm it shuts off.Ive been leaving the truck plugged in a lot lately as well, as my one batt is going belly up,lol.The truck is the same one as my sig.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its been fairly cold here in North Platte and a couple times after I get in the truck the high idle comes back on when drving.My question is this normal if its normal too come on again if the trucks too cold.Its pretty loud, and only happens in a slow 30 -35 mph zone.If I stomp on the gas or accel to get or 1000 rpm it shuts off.Ive been leaving the truck plugged in a lot lately as well, as my one batt is going belly up,lol.The truck is the same one as my sig.

I'm guna say: It ain't normal, but it's okay. seems when we mod the intake, to an open type filter.. that little sensor that was on the back of the Air filter box (?) doesn't sense [Warm] air as fast.. the High Idle and EBPV stays in the warm up mode longer than normal, and may come Back on.. until things get warmed up real good. Especially in North Platte weather.:D ;) :D

My 2k does the same thing from time to time. Even in Caly weather:D ;) :D

As long as the High Idle/warm up mode, goes off after the engine is near, or up to, operating temps.. you should be Okay ;tu

Maybe one of the Techs will jump in here, to confirm or correct me ??

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Are you talking about high idle or the EBPV closing? High idle should not engage unless the truck is sitting still in park(auto)or with the parking brake set(manual). High idle kicking in when moving would be a serious safety issue. The EBPV cycling in cold temp is normal.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Crumm's got a good point... the EBPV modulating while driving down the street is ok (annoying as hell, but OK)
High idle should only be 1000 rpm, so I can't see you noticing it going down the street, unless there's something really jacked...

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Our X does the same thing up to 30-35 when in the temps of less than 20 degrees,the 99.5 F250 did the same thing except more often than the Excursion.

Hope alls well in North Platte there brother:sweet

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
The PCM will command a fast idle when the engine temp is below a certain value. That will be based on either oil temp or coolant temp, I don't know which. If your engine is idling fast very soon after attaining a "fully warmed up" condition (i.e. highway driving), then for some reason, the PCM is being told the engine is still cold.

I would look at the coolant temp sensor, oil temp sensor or even the thermostat maybe sticking open.

mille-ryan

Loco Parts Changer
Reaction score
Yea its the valve I was talking about, its just so freaking loud, guess I shouldnt of straight piped it and had it exit b4 the wheel,lol.
Everything good here in North Platte, so much better that Colorado Springs, especially for the kids.Working for Union Pacific is different for sure but good.You should see how bad a big 16 cylinder diesel that makes over 4000hp can tear its self up when something goes wrong.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An Example of warm ups, for me:

Talking specifically about the High Idle. When my 2K had the stock Air Box, I would let it warm up in High Idle 'til the GP's stopped cycling. High Idle would go back to norm when I released the P-brake, EBPV would open, within about 6 blocks from the Casa. (first stop sign)

When I installed an open air filter (K&N FIPK), the air box temp sensor was then exposed to ambient, under the hood air temps. The EBPV was switch controlled by then, so not in the equation, unless I wanted it to be. (usually use it)

On a Cold Temp Start: Same as above but at the first Stop Sign it would, often, go back to High Idle. By the time I got to the second S/sign.. It may, or may not, go back to High Idle, depending on how cold it was.

Sounds close to what mille-ryan is experiencing ? Not Normal.. But Okay.

Since Ive gone to the AIS filter set-up, Everything operates as if Stock. (Except the EBPV is still switch controlled)

But TG & Crumm Do have a good point.. IF the High Idle is above 1000rpm, or the warm up system(s) doesn't cycle to off, after a reasonable time or distance ? Something needs to be looked at. But COLD, COLD, COOLD temps are a factor too.

As I understand it, the Air Temp sensor in the air box.. Helps Initiate the Warm up cycle/system(s). The Oil Temp and/or Coolant temp sensors shut it down, when things get up to valued Temps.

txrdnek

2000 F-250 7.3L 4WD
Reaction score
I'm glad you asked mille-ryan because my 2000 does the same thing now. It didn't do it or I couldn't hear it until I put my 4" turbo back exhaust on. But I'm with you Jesus it's loud I was worried about something wrong also.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14