Cold Start problem and solution

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
This morning I went out to start me truck. I let the glow plugs cycle and tried to start it. NO go. So recycled the GP's and tried again and still no start. I hooked up my big battery charger and recharged the batteries. While it was charging I decided to check for codes and I hooked up my laptop and ran Autoenginuity scan. It came up with some codes that were NOT to related to my problem, so I unhooked it and just for S&G I tried to start it and she fired up right away. Seems that just cycling the GP's is not enough. After they had been off for over two minutes I got it to start. Why? I am not sure, but the computer must have done something while the GP's were off, causing it to start. Moral: If you get a no start, let it sit for a minute or two, with the KEY ON, and try again. It worked for me.

Dave

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
45° and the codes had nothing to do with the cold start. They are residual codes from my injector change. #5 injector circuit low.

Dave

atk

Reaction score
my truck has done something similar 7-8 times in the last 3 years. usually cycled the glow plugs again and fired up. didn`t matter what time of year it was. still trying to figure this out. never know when it will do it again. just wish i could have a scanner hooked up when it did to see if something is amiss.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I will hook up my scanner if it does it again tomorrow. I would be interested in knowing also.

Dave

07KingRanch

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Where did you get the 'cord' to plug in your computer, and the computer program? That sounds like a cool thing to have...
Thanks

DR.Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rough running

Try hot shots secret oil additive .it helps clean the deposits thet form in the injectors on these engines that is a common problem.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Turns out that the glow plugs were going and two were gone. I replaced them and all if fine now. The right side is a bitch to replace, you have to remove the fender liner to get to them. :(

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58