Help Needed Cold starting problems

Shread Head Fred

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

It has been an unusally cold winter here in the NW. When the tempratures drop below 30 degrees and I'm not using the block heater it generally takes about 20 cranks to get the engine started, then it has a heavey rock for about 10 seconds until it settles down and runs fine. If I use the heater the problem goes away. I'm sure a sensor has gone bad. Does anyone have and answer, and is it relatively easy to repair?

Thanks in advance!

SHF

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

It has been an unusally cold winter here in the NW. When the tempratures drop below 30 degrees and I'm not using the block heater it generally takes about 20 cranks to get the engine started, then it has a heavey rock for about 10 seconds until it settles down and runs fine. >>>>If I use the heater the problem goes away<<<<. I'm sure a sensor has gone bad. Does anyone have and answer, and is it relatively easy to repair?

Thanks in advance!

SHF

What you are exsperiencing could be Perfectly Normal if yer NOT useing the Block Heater at temps below 30* ?

The Rocking ?.. Some cylinders are detonating the fuel, some are not.. due to lact of enough.. >even<, cylinder, head and block heat. Yer relying solely on glow plug cycles... They come on line during the "Wait to Start" but continue to cycle until the heads and cylinder temps get... up to temp.

Sooo.. If you heat the Block with the Block Heater.. The Glow Plugs heat the 8 cumbustion areas.... It should Fire right up, with little, if any, Rocking.

(>>> If I use the heater the problem goes away<<<)

Try Plug'n it in for 2-3 hours before start-up ?

Joe

Usta live in Barton

Last edited:

dmd

Reaction score
Shread,

It should start down to zero with just the glow plugs. May have to cycle a few times, but
should start. Good explanation, and good homework on your part with the info. Have your tried turning the key on and not trying to start for 40 seconds, then turn the key off and back on again for 40-seconds before trying to start? This would give the
glow plugs plenty of time to get warm. I can start a zero doing that, makes some noise and smoke but it starts. I really prefer to plug in for a hour or so at that temp if I can.

Check the glow plug relay, cheap and easy to fix. Do a search and there will be plenty
of threads.

Please fill out your signature (look at mine below). With that we will have a better
idea on how to answer you with more detail.

HighwayPrisoner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
A check of the glow plugs etc would be a good idea. Synthetic motor oil 5w40 would help with the "romps". You should be able to start the motor with out plugging it in, but a little heat in the engine block helps speed up the warm up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg