Cold starting tips

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK guys, on Tuesday I leave for Columbus, OH. The weather forcast for there says single digit lows over night. I will be staying in a hotel for 2 nights. Short of asking them if there is a place to plug the truck in at, is there anything I can do to help the truck start a little easier in the cold. I have started it at 10 degrees already, but it doesn't like that to much. I know not to use either. Thanks for the help.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
that's about the best thing you could do, would be plug it in..

if everything is in good working order; glow plugs, batteries, etc..
mine has reliably started in -10 weather without being plugged in...

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
02stroker, When you get to the hotel look around the doors and the pool areas. My grandkids live in Columbus, OH and when we stay at a hotel there I'm looking for the plugs first thing.....lol Take a heavy 100' cord you may have some feet to travel to get to the plug. Look around the light poles to, I have found them there also.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cycle the the GP's twice.. and [Don't] step on the throttle while you crank it. Works for me everytime.. :dunno

And I don't mean just out here in Sunny Cali.. either :lmao:lmao

wpfd571

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what i do, cycle the GP's twice and she starts every time. My truck has not been plugged in once this year, I did switch to 5w40 synthetic rotela and it cranks a lot easier in the single digits

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I do still have 15W-40 in it. Always have. Single digits are not to much of an issue around here. Maybe a couple days a year. And I always can plug it in then. BTW, what is a good rule of thumb for replacing glow plugs? 150,000 miles? 200,000? Or just when they start going bad?

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
02stroker, When you get to the hotel look around the doors and the pool areas. and when we stay at a hotel I'm looking for the plugs first thing..... Take a heavy 100' cord you may have some feet to travel to get to the plug.

I look for plugs as well. For what a room now cost per night I would ask. If it is and room to the outside ask for a groud floor room and try to park at the door. Dont make it a trip hazzard if you do this.;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14