Question Cold weather, How do you start your 7.3?

Bbasso

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have access to a 110 outlet, but haven't used it yet. The temps haven't been below 35 when I start the Van (w/ the 7.3).
It's takes an extra second or two to kick over since it's been under 50 deg.... I'm thinking it's time to plug it in before turning the key.
I usually wait 10-15 mins before driving or until the temp guage reaches the lower part of the operating range.

So...

For everyone who has a 7.3 PowerStroke, what's your cold weather starting procedure?
And last, how long do you let it warm up?

Thanks, I'm sure this will be helpfull to all of us :sweet

tony4380

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hopefully not with a can of starting fluid! i dont have a 7.3 but i typically cycle the glow plugs twice.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
35 ain't bad..
it was 9 degrees out when I left work tonight..
I don't have access to a plug..
I worked 13 hours..
oh yeah.. she put up a fuss...

dpantazis

Reaction score
big red was not happy today. -4 in the am. she gave it the college try but no luck. i have not switched over to winter oil yet either- still running summer oil.

if its plugged in for a good 2-3 hours, she will fire and cough. 4+ and she is as happy as can be.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So...

For everyone who has a 7.3 PowerStroke, what's your cold weather starting procedure?
And last, how long do you let it warm up?

Thanks, I'm sure this will be helpfull to all of us :sweet

Here's my SOP*

Temps in the 30's or below, plug it in for at least, 2 hours. (more time if colder)

I Cycle the WTS 2 times.

I [Don't step on the throttle].. start it.

I Let it high idle (use the EBPV at times)'til the temp neddle moves [Off] the cold peg.

Go 'bout my bidness. It may Buck'n Snort at a Stop sign or two (6 speed).. but HEY.. It's a Dezel.. They're ALL.. Cold Blooded.

*I run 5W40, full syn, year 'round.

Last edited:

Akpaul

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
2000 F-350 I run rotella syn. and it gets kinda cold here in Alaska if I have access I plug in when temps. get below 20, but with the syn. oil it'll fire right up after sitting in -25 degree weather for 2 weeks. Cycle the glow plugs twice and go for it, let her warm for several minutes and go for it.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
1 cycle heating up the plugs in the 30's and down with the block heater on for 2-3 hours,cranks right up,even better with the new Denso big daddy starter:D

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
I have two starting methods for the 7.3. Old and new :D

The new 7.3 (PSD). Cycle the plugs then let her rip. If it's really cold the block heater is plugged in for 3 hours.;tu

The old 7.3.(IDI). Cycle the plugs a couple of times. Slam the go pedal to the floor.Hope it starts.:lmao:lmao

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Down here in Lower Alabama it has been down in the low 30's in the AM's. If I know it is going to be below 35 I drive the truck (usually ride the Buell every opportunity) and I plug it in at about 11 and start it at 0530. Starts right up when the wait light goes off. I let it idle for about 3-5 minutes and baby it for a mile or so and then I'm going 70 mph. It is noisier when this cold so I take it easy on her.

Bbasso

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
"Cycle the plugs", what does that do compared to just turning the key and waiting for the light to go off?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58