COLD weather normal engine oddities

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Seeing as this is my first winter with the 6.0
i plugged in the block heater, overnight, it was 22-25 this morning
she ran funny, and took forever to get teh temp gauge to move, I had warm air from the vents,

does the 6.0 close or restirct boost like the 7.3 did to help keep her warm. the 7.3 ebp would cycle when it was cold out and you let off the throttle.
does the 6.0 do something similiar?

also it was so cold that my egts never went ovr 600 driving to work, and coasting down the mountain 1.8 miles the egts dropped to 175,
she never really felt hooked up on the whole drive

acted like the timing was really advanced for the whole drive
thanks
new toy and all

Ford Doctor

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
does the 6.0 close or restrict boost like the 7.3 did to help keep her warm. the 7.3 ebp would cycle when it was cold out and you let off the throttle. does the 6.0 do something similiar?

Yes, the 6.oL does something very similar. The VG Turbo can close off the vanes essentially performing the same function that the back pressure valve on the 7.3L did by restricting the exhaust flow out of the engine. This allows the heat from combustion more time to warm the engine. It is also recommended that you switch to a lighter weight oil in cold temperatures and when operating temps do not exceed 80 degrees. The lighter weight oil cures some of the cold weather performance quirks and many owners who do this report that the trucks just run better.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
thanks FD MD:sweet
and I read your site articles every week. thanks:sweet
I was pretty sure it acted similiar but coulndt find a definitive black and white answer

any cure for the od unlocking when i let off the trhottle ? it sure does spin up a lot before re-engagement

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
ALRIGHTY
this morning 22F on top o Mountain
plugged her in all day yesterday, i was sick and played hooky from work.
so this morning i remote start old girl, not once but three times.
had to finally run out and use the darn key.
anyway she smokes , chugs, farts, rattles like a 5.9
fianlly smoothed out. so i up the rpm to 1200 with the seic i get heat and loose the ice on the window

now the whole drive in she is making weird noises, droany and rat rattley and acts like the timing is advanced all the time.
tranny never got up to 100, engine temp came up to the "N"
boost ran normal 12-15 egts 450-600

is this normal for the 6.0 or do we need to go see the doc?
THanks
oh the seat heat work VERY WELL:eek:

Ford Doctor

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
ALRIGHTY
this morning 22F on top o Mountain...

...anyway she smokes , chugs, farts, rattles like a 5.9...

...is this normal for the 6.0 or do we need to go see the doc?
Thanks

Let's try an experiment, shall we? :cool: You sleep outside tonight in the 20 degree weather and in the morning we will all come and wake you up and watch you smoke, chug, fart and rattle when we expect you to jump right up and sprint! :roflmao

(sorry, I couldn't help myself)

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
Doc
I am spoiled from my 7.3 she just flat ran completeley different from teh 6.0
yesterday she was started after sitting for two days, plugged in and it took awhile to get her to fire, she turned over fast but would not catch. actually i timed the last attempt to start her it took 12 seconds of starter grind.
SHe is going in tomorrow, maybe something is a miss.
and the tranny still feels like its not in gear. feels slippy (I know)
it just doesnt feel solid when in gear.

this morning she ran perfect, smooth and solid and outside temps where 32-36
coming down the mountain
started first spin
Ford Doctor said:
Let's try an experiment, shall we? :cool: You sleep outside tonight in the 20 degree weather and in the morning we will all come and wake you up and watch you smoke, chug, fart and rattle when we expect you to jump right up and sprint! :roflmao

(sorry, I couldn't help myself)

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
I am spoiled from my 7.3 she just flat ran completeley different from teh 6.0.
I found out a couple of days ago that the 6.0 does not start like a 7.3. I hauled a load that had a brand new crewcab dually on it along with a couple of modules. Only way to get it started at -30 was to park it inside at +60 for four hours with a space heater blowing under it. I have hauled many 7.3's and they always fire right up no matter what the temperature. In defense of the 6.0 I did haul it through a quite a bit of -50 and it had came out of Texas so it might have had #2 in it. They are suppose to put #1 in them before they send them up here but the oil company's don't always do it. The way it would hardly turn over makes me think that it would not have started no matter what fuel was in it.

I wonder if there is a way to put dual block heaters on them to help the problem a little?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
They go into a freeze plug, so I would see no reason why you could not use two block heaters. I will bet you have 15W40 oil in the 6.0 and that is why it won't roll over.

Dave

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I imagine it has whatever they come with from the factory. I doubt the truck will be turned off all winter so they will probably not change it but who knows. Poor old trucks up there on the slope live a hard life.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
this morning it was 21f friggin old
she always gets plugged in when it drops below 50. been doing it for 13 or so years in all my trucks.
she ran like a perfect kitten this morning.
no hiccups or bumps, no rattlin no coughin
I am completely convinced its fuel
I filled up sunday morning and she has not missed a lick since.

crumm, you guys leave em running the whole season? poor old trucks run em hard.
yellowknife is the place i was thinking of for the ice roads
stay warm

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl