Composite connecting rods?

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody happen to know off hand which 7.3's have composite connecting rods? Also does anybody know what HP they are rated for/ safe for? Thanks, P.

dpantazis

Reaction score
you mean the powdered metal ones?

i think that 2001 was the year they switched. there is no clear cutoff. you have to look through an inspection hole to make sure. you do not have to pull the motor to check.

some of the vendors have a pictorial how to check, i can not find a link right now.

as far as how much HP, i think that something on the order of 400HP is the known limit by real world testing. something like that.

dennis

txastuff79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
inspection of rods

i veileive diesel innovations web site has a link or the pictorial to do it. pretty much theres an allen head plug on the back of the block on the drivers side. pull it. look in the hole and match it up to the pics posted on the website. i think the diesel stop webiste has it too. but that site is hard to surf and find anything. good luck.

FJK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
By engine serial number, 7.3 started using powdered metal rods as follows:

Initial Prod Run S/N 1425747 Thru S/N 1440712 Full production use started with s/n 1498319 (10/17/00)

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been told that the HP rating is right around 400rwhp. That is as much as they will stand. My bad see that someone already post the numbers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58