Compressor wheel ID.

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to tell the difference between a wicked wheel and a stock wheel just by looking at it through the compressor inlet? The reason I ask is I suspect my truck may have one in it. I got the truck used with 51,000 miles on it, and I can tell it had some power adders on it before. Since I put my 4" MBRP exhaust on, it whistles more than most of the other trucks I've been around with 4" exhaust. I don't have a boost guage (yet), but the turbo doesn't seem to surge on had runs up the mountain on the way to work. (9% for 1/2 mile) As always, thanks for the help guys.

:hail

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll go check it out this afternoon.

And..... after you've looked at the vanes, you can check the Compressor wheel housing bolts for signs of wrench'n.. like the assembler or QA paint dabs ?

Between those 2 checks... yul know fer shur if someone, before you has been in there. ;tu

Last edited:

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled the intake hose off today.guess I'm not lucky this time around. All the fins are the same length and the bolts don't look like they have ever been out. Guess it's still the good old factory wheel. Thanks for the help guys.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled the intake hose off today.guess I'm not lucky this time around. All the fins are the same length and the bolts don't look like they have ever been out. Guess it's still the good old factory wheel. Thanks for the help guys.

;tu

JMF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Not to highjack.... just wanting a little more info. I've been told that the early 99's had a "factory equivelent" to a WW... then all was changed due to turbo whistle. Is this accurate? Will the fins be unequal length as mentioned above. My truck also is missing the insulation off the IC pipe.... pretty sure it never had it, as I'm the 2nd owner, and bought it from a buddy, so I've been around it since it had 35 miles on it. Thanks.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The early 99 Compressor wheel has 10 vanes, every other vane has a slightly different pitch and is shorter in length. It has a (nice) whine to it.... but little to no surge/stall. AKA Wicked Wheel, or Comp Wheel. (for marketing purposes...IMO)

The 99.5 (or so) to 03 Wheel has 9 vanes of equal length and pitch, with little to No whine, but at certain throttle/load demands.. surges/stalls. (for lack of bigger words) The I/C tubes also have the Foil sound deadener.

Hope this helps ?

Joe

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
shouldnt he have removed the downpipe to look since thats the part that is actually replaced and not on the intake side? I think i might be a bit confused here...

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no the wheel that needs changed is the compressor wheel on the intake side not the turbine wheel on the exhaust side

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14