Computer Fried???!!!

tr30

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Bad lightning storm last night. 8/15/09 my truck was parked 10 ft away from a tree that was struck by lightning. went out to start it this morning to go to work and all it would do was crank. never even tried to sputter or start. left it set all day and when i got home from work I unhooked both batteries which are only six months old, and let it set for 30 minutes. hooked them back up and still no start. it's getting fuel, checked that already.checked and tightened all cables too. the last time i cranked on it i left the key on and the wait to start light was flickering along with the check engine light. now the wait to start light doesn't even come on when you cycle the key on and off. My question is could my computer be fried from the static electricity off the lightning? and any more things i should try first before I spend the money to hook it up to a outboard computer? Please help!!!!!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check ALL the fuses first. In the Cab & under the Hood.

Once you know all are good.. then scan for codes.

Joe

tr30

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the help. figured I would have to hook it to a scanner to figure it out.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could if it was grounded like you had something hang down like a wire to the ground or water up to the rims when the lighting hit. Never herd of a ECM cooking like that from a lighting hit. I have seen them from someone welding on there truck with out unplugging the ECM.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Lightning could do it. I was running a John Deere front end loader that got hit by lightning and 5 control units had to be replaced. It will jump right through the tires to ground.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'd have to agree on this one.
Like Dave said, you'd need to try to scan it to condemn it.

Best advise I can give you is check all the powers and all the grounds first...

tr30

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
a follow up on what was wrong. the IDM got fried by lighting. the ECM was still good. thaks for all the input guys.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg