Computer Upgrade, what I did and why.

johnrrogers

Old Racer
Reaction score
A little background about me first: I have worked as a software engineer since 1985 when I retired from the US Navy as a Nuc engineer and have taught computer science for Chapman U. and UOP in San Diego since 1989 but I hate messing with hardware!
Since I just had to replace my main home PC due to old age a couple of weeks ago, I thought I would cover what I did and what my logic was to end up with a blindingly fast PC with 2 TB (Tera Bytes) of storage for about $1200 or so.
I considerd a Mac but they are too restrictive and expensive for parts so that choice was eliminated.
I considered an off the shelf PC but while guarantee is nice, their speed and storage were not what I wanted so they were eliminated.
I built my own (again) with most all new parts except for the DVD reader and DVD writers and two IDE hardrives with the apps that I wanted to save and not have to reinstall. I bought a new case, 550W power supply, 4Ghz AMD 64bit CPU and 2 GB of very high speed RAM. The motherboard is an ASUS M2N4-SLI and I added a new nVidia PCI plus video card made for the AMD system. This ended up being essentially a game playing computer that can display graphics instantly when clicking on a JPG image. For storage, I bought 4x 500GB SATA drives and the motherboard has an onboard high speed controller and you can even setup a RAID-5 array if you wish (I did not). The drives were $120 each which is a pretty good amount of storage for the bucks.
Total cost for everything was about $1200 and I also splurged on a wireless keyboard and mouse which is pretty cool.
I stayed with XP instead of Vista since the shop told me they have had a lot of trouble with it and it is plenty fast as is.
A side note about the nVidia video card nis that you can install two of them, connect then with a sync cable and actually run up to four monitors when playing games and such but the wife said no!
Periodically I have family and friends visit from the east coast and one of the first things they do is buy computer hardware since we have a thousand small computer hardware shops in this area. If anyone is interested in help if they come to the SD area feel free to let me know.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Nice buildup there John:sweet I just upgraded my PC to 2 Gig RAM,need a replacement CD ROM drive as my original went belly up about a month ago.I'll probably have to hit up newegg for a deal:D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg