computer virus!!

johnrrogers

Old Racer
Reaction score
There are a couple of things you can try but if you are not comfortable working in the registry then find someone who is. You can press "Start", then "run" then type in "regedit" and click "OK". Select "My Computer" at the top left panel and then press Ctrl-F and type in the name of the spyware software that has loaded and press enter. Delete every entry that is found and press F3 after deleting and repeat until no more found. Go back to the top and try other names that are similar and delete all of those too. Close the regedit program and reboot the PC and the spyware should be gone. The problem with programs like thse is they can take the name of a real Windows service or process and it takes a commercial product such as Norton Antivirus to trap and remove it but they are worth the $$$$ in the long run. Norton is good enough to trap viruses in WMV files (videos) or RAR files (sliced up video files) while they are being downloaded and will delete them. This is particularly handy if you browse Usenet or Newsgroups gathering MP3s or Divx files.

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
Technically, That's one word, and one letter. :p

And the proper usage is Mac Os X. Two words, one letter.

Scar13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8 years at mcafee, senior tech shrug what do I know...

call me this evening if you still require help.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
well i thought i got rid of it but i guess not.

in the balloon that keeps popping up it says: System Alert:Trojan-spy.win32@mx

if i click it it takes me to an antivirus website trying to sell me stuff

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
hey rich-
been following this post. mine did this a few days ago. although it was not trying to sell me stuff, just kept telling me i needed to do a 'liveware' update. i guess the previous 5 i had done did not work. i then clicked out of norton and have not gotten any messages since.

Scar13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You used that .exe didnt you..

call me you have my cell# Outside of that I can not help you over the internet.

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I downloaded Panda antivirus and haven't had a problem since. Its the best one I've used. I recommend this one to everyone out there.

However, if you buy a Mac, like I am about to do, you will never have a problem. There aren't many, if any, viruses and you don't need an antivirus program. Besides, the Mac OS is way cooler than Windows.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I agree completely bling. I got a Mini-MAC OS X a few weeks ago and I am learning how it works. No anti virus or any other junk like that. It is a great feeling to know you are not wanted.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58