Question Considering a 6.0

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first time over here on the 6.0 forum. I've been in a 99 7.3l for a long time but its starting to get fairly beat up. I was going to look at an 03 to replace it but he says its got the 6.0.
Now all I know about the 6.0 firsthand is from a fleet of ambulances we have at work. They are not well maintained but we are constantly breaking down to the point where the company was trying to get their money back on them. I've also heard reports that ford bought a few back.

So my question is, should I consider this truck to replace my 7.3? Is it just egr and injectors that are causing all the issues? Can anything be done (within financial reason) to get their reliability up to par?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
As you know, maintenance is the key to keep a diesel running. If they are bad out of the gate than there is not a whole lot you can do. Ford did buy back many when they were first out. I have replaced one injector in 140,000 miles and I still have the stock EGR Valve. They need cleaning if the truck gets to sit idling much, as an ambulance does. Run an Oasis report to see what has been done to any truck you may want. Good luck in your search!

Dave :)

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would stay away from the 03 and 04, and try for a 06 or 07.
If you get a good 03 it's a good truck, but if it's a bad one.
Doug

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Dave said, maintenance is key, but it was run like crap before, there is no guarantee that it wont as a personal vehicle. I've been around the 6.0's in ambulances for many years, relatively no major issues with extended idling and proper PM, key being Proper PM. Remember the E-series was detuned as compared to the F-series. I haven't seen as many issues with the injectors an other related parts as with the F-series, but most squads aren't running tuners and custom stuff. Look for later 06-07, some updates from prior years. Solid trucks, just try to get the entire background and an Oasis report from Ford.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58