Contitrac TR 18"

Rusty74

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
How have these tires performed in the snow? I have been looking at tires on line and there are not a lot to choose from in the 275/70/18.

screamineagle

screamineagle
Reaction score
Conti 18"

They are a great highway tire but are terrible in the snow. I have 22,000 on my 08 250 and the wear is decent. I tow 5th wheel and highway use is great but I can't wait until I can justify replacing them as I live in NE Ohio.

Rusty74

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I live south of Denver and we have not had a snow storm yet but we will. I bought tire chains for hunting season for deep snow and mud, but I should have a leveling kit. I also pull a 5W w/a boat and have noticed great wear and comfot with these tires. I have found Wrangler Silent Armor in this size, has anyone had good luck with them on this truck?

screamineagle

screamineagle
Reaction score
Rusty74:

Look at Michelins LTX/X2 (?) and the Toyo OPen Country. I'm thinking about going to the Toyo 285/75-18 series but not sure how it will effect my gear ratio or towing. It has a heavier carrying capacity around 4080pds per tire. Many have spoken highly on the Wrangler but the Michilen seems to be the overall bets pick for many.

Fine69

Reaction score
These tires are the absolute worst tires I've ever seen in the snow. Ford should be paying us to use these freakin piles of junk! I replaced my Conti's with Pro Comp Extreme All Terrains on my stock wheels for winter, and Nitto Terra Grapplers on Weld wheels for the Summer. Do yourself a favor and buy a real set of tires before you get any snow.

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
The Conti's leave a lot to be desired even on dry asphalt. They are barely functional as all season tires much less all terrain tires which I believe is how they were labeled in Ford Truck sales brochures.

My brother just finished going through the same debate and got a a set of the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Pro Grade tires in the stock 275/70/18 size. Too early to tell on the wear but they are rated for severe snow use which is indicated by the mountain/snowflake symbol on the tire sidewall. And I believe they have a 50,000 mile treadwear warranty.

Last edited:

psycoticredneck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just pulled my factory Conti-Tracs off two weeks ago after hitting 60,000 miles on them. They are great tires for dry pavement but are so so on snow and absolutely worthless on any form of wet grass, dirt, loose gravel and i'm not even going to get into the subject of mud. I ordered a set of General Grabber AT-2's from Tire Rack for $830 shipped to my door. These tires are great so far. Aggressive all terrain tread very similar to BFG A/T's. They're great on the last bit of snow we had, Hardly any noisier than the Continentals and they actually clean out pretty well in mud. I've been out in the soft fields the past couple days with decent rainfall and for once my truck isn't sinking in the field. I have had good luck with older General models on trucks I've had in the past as far as quality and treadware/life.

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I guess nobody here wants some used Conti's really cheap? :lmao I took a set off my '05 when I bought it in November. They did ride really smooth and quiet on the drive from CA to CO.

acjjkamp

Blitz and Harley
Reaction score
My Conti's are almost toast. only have 24K on them. i might be able to get another 2K out of them.....
waiting for tax time to get some new tires. looking at the Cooper ATR's in the 18's

cant wait to get these Conti's off. Zero traction on mud, wet grass, snow, wet roads.
Like it was said before, Ford should have paid us to use these tires.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14