Converting Early Superduty to later style

Dale_Lakin

Powerstroke Wannabe Owner
Reaction score
From what I can gather it is possible to convert a Pre-05 Superduty to the 05 front end by using the Grille, Headlights and Bumper. Or does anyone know where I can get more info? Or what else is involved such as brackets or needed modifications?

Also on the mirrors has anyone converted to the newer style tow mirrors with the turn signal pods. Have sold them a few times but am not sure what addtional wiring would need to be done. I know it depends on if you have power mirrors with heat or not as the new mirrors only come power w/heat so I would imagine it could get rather involved.

Any direction to more info or personal experience would be greatly appreciated on either...

Last edited:

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dale_Lakin said:
Also on the mirrors has anyone converted to the newer style tow mirrors with the turn signal pods. Have sold them a few times but am not sure what addtional wiring would need to be done. I know it depends on if you have power mirrors with heat or not as the new mirrors only come power w/heat so I would imagine it could get rather involved.

Any direction to more info or personal experience would be greatly appreciated on either...

IIRC, there was a pretty in-depth article on TDS about doing just that.

Dale_Lakin

Powerstroke Wannabe Owner
Reaction score
jvencius said:
IIRC, there was a pretty in-depth article on TDS about doing just that.

I will give you a cookie if you can find it because I sure as hell can't :confused:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a thread before the mass archive about converting the front end over as well. From what I remember about it you needed the obvious parts, headlights, turnsignals, grill /w modification you could use your existing bumper the grille would just hide behind it a little bit. The big thing that was the problem is that the coresuppport mounting for the headlights has changed so you would need this piece as well which was a rather costly piece from what I remember.

The thread was titled something about headlights and more than likely it's in the archive now.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Dale_Lakin said:
From what I can gather it is possible to convert a Pre-05 Superduty to the 05 front end ...
It would take a quite a bit of modification to convert the front suspension to the newer coil spring system ;) .

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
It would take a quite a bit of modification to convert the front suspension to the newer coil spring system ;) .

Actually, no, it shouldnt be terribly hard at all. I think skyjacker or someone already sells a coil conversion kit. I dont know if you could use the stock ford parts, but I swear there *IS* a coil kit out there, or at least in the works.

wouldnt that be a cool truck tho? take a 2000 year truck (the best of the bunch I think), put a 05 grille and a coil conversion on it and fool everyone into thinking there is an 05 7.3 :D :D

Reaction score
Parts List that I copied:

'05 Grill: $165
Header Panel: $90
Headlight Pigtail: $52ea

-Then I sold my old headlights and grill for $200

So total after taxes was just under $650.

Here are some part #s:

5c3z-13008-aa Headlight
5c3z-13008-ba Headlight
5c3z-8200baa Chrome Grill
5c3z8a284aa Header Panel
wpt-793 or 3u2z-14s411-fkaa Headlight Pigtail

The conversion is straight forward (no cutting or modifying) as long as you spend the 100 bucks for the '05 header panel. Everything bolts right in.

Ron

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
Actually, no, it shouldn't be terribly hard at all. I think skyjacker or someone already sells a coil conversion kit. I don't know if you could use the stock ford parts, but I swear there *IS* a coil kit out there, or at least in the works.
It is called a Skyjacker Z-Link Coil-Over Suspension Lift Kit. You can check them out at Skyjacker.com. It would require some major modification to change a pre 05 to the stock 05 suspension..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58