Cool all in one gauge setup

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand that turning off the "check engine" light doesn't fix the problem, not to steal the post, but my truck is built with Massachusetts emissions, the Ma trucks along with Ca. and NY (i believe) trucks will through a code if you disconnect the EGR, or the EGT throttle plate. I found this out when I bought a different intake that deleted the throttle plate. I would like to delete the throttle plate, disconnect the EGR and maybe the EGR cooler delete Mod but the check engine light on was driving me crazy, besides that I wouldn't know if I had another, unrelated problem.
back to the reason of this thread, I didn't know that it measures trans temp. I also wish that it could be wired where you can't see the wires. I am sure I can figure out a way so that very little of the wire is seen, besides where it comes from the OBD II port

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand that turning off the "check engine" light doesn't fix the problem, not to steal the post, but my truck is built with Massachusetts emissions, the Ma trucks along with Ca. and NY (i believe) trucks will through a code if you disconnect the EGR, or the EGT throttle plate. I found this out when I bought a different intake that deleted the throttle plate. I would like to delete the throttle plate, disconnect the EGR and maybe the EGR cooler delete Mod but the check engine light on was driving me crazy, besides that I wouldn't know if I had another, unrelated problem.
back to the reason of this thread, I didn't know that it measures trans temp. I also wish that it could be wired where you can't see the wires. I am sure I can figure out a way so that very little of the wire is seen, besides where it comes from the OBD II port

there are some "tuner" manufactures that will "ignore" the egr codes
along w/ some others sensors.

the trans temp <pick up> is the same "pick-up" as the factory gauge
is using...

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
I agree 100% that the factory trans temp guage is useless, but I don't feel that the "pick-up" is.

My Banks PDA picks up tranny temp like Scan Guage II can, using the factory "pick-up" and unlike the factory guage, it readings appear to be very accurate going up 1 degree at a time, I can watch it change temps when I put my tranny under a load, and also watch it cool back off, all the while, the needle on the dash never moves.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree 100% that the factory trans temp guage is useless, but I don't feel that the "pick-up" is.

My Banks PDA picks up tranny temp like Scan Guage II can, using the factory "pick-up" and unlike the factory guage, it readings appear to be very accurate going up 1 degree at a time, I can watch it change temps when I put my tranny under a load, and also watch it cool back off, all the while, the needle on the dash never moves.

ok thats good...i really was just hopeful that the trans sending unit
didnt work like some of the other "pick-ups" like the oil pressure.

one thing ill add <since im having an issue>...the 5r110 has been known
to go into limp mode because the factory temp wiring harness or sensor
gives false indications that the temp higher than it actually is...

w/ any gauge that uses a DIFFERENT sensor / pick-up point you basically
get redunancey and another method of confirmation to whats really
going on.

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cant vouch for that...but honestly i prefer REDUNDANT monitoring...
if you are concerned about the operational parameters of your vehicle
then i would personally prefer INDEPENDANT <redundant> monitoring.

as for the accuracy of the factory "monitoring" points...ill let you
drawl your OWN conclusions...

ITP Diesel - Truth in Pictures (trans temp)

Page 56: Electrical Components (engine oil pressure)

I use mine to monitor water temperatures. It's a lot more accurate than the factory gauge.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use mine to monitor water temperatures. It's a lot more accurate than the factory gauge.

cool now i have TWO reasons to buy it ;)
two more anyone ? (since the gauge displays FOUR data points)

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
I have one now for a while, as my Signture shows. I use it a lot for Fuel consuption the flow is very accurate as you can adjust it at every fillups. But I have a problem with the speed readings, My MPG, Miles travelled, and anything related to speed indicating is on and off. I changed the sensor on the punkin and it did not improve anything. So now I use the fuel flow and the miles travelled by GPS or Speedometer readings and figure it out by sections of highway travelled. or per tank fillups. I will try my SG on my buddy's truck when I get home and see if it is the Gauge or not. Anyone here has had the same problem. It seams to work OK for a few miles then its start indication O MPG in spurts of about 30% of the time.

This unit is great for Temperatures, Fuel Flow, Instant MPG, I use it to see the Fuel Level in my tank, While dumping my auxiliary tank. The level has to be lower then when started if I travel more then 200 Miles with the key on.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14