Cool Duals

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... I finally broke down and got a 4" exhaust. I went with Magnaflow SS Cool Duals 17977. I found them on Amazon for $570. This kit eliminates the cat converter (one of my goals). I thought I'd post a quick note because tackling it myself saved me about $300.

It took me and a buddy about 5 hours to install in my driveway. 45 minutes to rip out the stock system, 2 hrs to get the down pipe in :dizzy, and hanging & adjusting the rest of the pipe & muffler took a little more than an hour. I put the front of the truck on ramps to get a little more room under there. This is helpful until you get into a couple of spots where the pipe is just out of comfortable reach.

The downpipe is a major pain, but it can be done. You just have to take your time and get it to clear one obstruction at a time. (Cussing at it several times an inch doesn't seems to help, but it does make you feel better.) The instructions just say it's a tight fit, but it will fit. Had to saws-all the end of a small bolt on the bottom of the firewall, bend a sheetmetal seam at the bottom of the firewall, take the front transmission line off and move out of the way, loosen & rotate the EGR cooler marmon clamp on the back of the motor, and push the little heatshield out of the way behind the EGR cooler. It still took alot of force to get the pipe to clear the frame rail. I literally had to push it with my foot! Geez!

Getting the dual tailpipes aligned symetrically took a couple iterations of adjustments, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

There is a definite difference in the seat of the pants when the turbo kicks in. The sound is better, but not loud. We pulled the muffler out just to see what straight pipes would sound like. I was afraid it would be too loud, but not the case. It sounds perfect without the muffler. much better rumble & lots of turbo whine. So... I've already ordered the delete pipe.:sweet

Last edited:

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a muffler delete pipe made at Ripleys Muffler & Brake in Spring, TX for $40. Deleted the muffler last night. The sound is great. Good turbo whine and it howls when you mash the pedal, but it's not loud enough to upset neighbors when just rolling through the hood. I think the duals have a smoother, more balanced sound than the single pipe. Glad I went dual.

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess 05 and up must have more room on the firewall because I had no problem fitting my downpipe in of course we had it on a friends 12k lift too maybe that was part of it.:D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14