Coolant Can O' Worms!

BLUKTY

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am fully aware of what I am opening up here, but I'm going to do it anyway! My water pump is puking coolant, the metal input pipe is so rusty that coolant is leaking out of it as well, and I'm sure that it is time to replace all of the hoses. So..... the coolant will of course also need to be replaced. Replaced by WHAT? Should I continue with the ethylene glycol anti-freeze and SCA that I have been using since I purchased the truck new, OR, is this the perfect time to switch to an ELC (Evans or other)???? I have heard/read about the "compatibility" issue with the earlier PSD's (like mine), so I am curious: IF any of you have been using an ELC in these earlier engines, have you had any "compatibility issues"? Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions on this topic! Pete

BLUKTY

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Craig, that is the article that started me thinking about using an ELC. I have decided to have someone else do the work for me (since it is between 0 and 10 degrees where I live). This mechanic, who does have a lot of experience with Powerstrokes, is dead set AGAINST using ELC in the earlier engines. He is absolutely convinced that serious damage will ultimately result, although it may take 60 to 80,000 miles or even more. So I guess that for now, I will continue to use a standard coolant with SCA's, even though I don't necessarily agree with him. I think that his philosophy is "It's Fords way or the highway". At least he understands these engines and what makes them go, which is more than I can say for most of the mechanics that have done work on my truck! Thanks again, Pete

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14