Coolant change procedure

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My 2008 F350 (6.4) needs a coolant change soon. I have 92K miles and will do the change in the next couple weeks at 100K.

Is this a pretty simply DIY job? I change the oil, fuel filters, and other simple maintenance myself and would like to do this one too.

what are the steps involved-- should I do the fuel coolant too? does fuel coolant really wear out?? Is it in it's own contained coolant or does it share coolant with engine?

Recommendation of which coolant to use? Stick with Ford coolant?

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a little research and it appears the change is about the same as any other car.

I question whether I really need to change the coolant with the way I drive I doubt the coolant is worn out after less than one year - even though the miles are very high. I kinda wonder if simply checking the coolant properties with a little test kit would be good enough and maybe changing every couple years instead.

After the first change at 100K the manual says to change every 50K miles. Seems excessive for a truck putting that mileage on every 6 months.

Any options here?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would do the coolant change if I was you. It is not the time that makes coolant go bad, but the heat cycles. I just changed mine and it was not bad, just get a couple of gallons of distilled water and coolant. Drain it and refill.

Dave

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the fuel coolant?? Does that really need changing? Do you know how to change it?

Thanks for your reply!
David

f250forte

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Tech help

I to would like to know about the coolant change procedure and the fuel filter change. If you hear or know please let me know
Thanks Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14