Coolant filter and coolant questions.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Been pondering the Evans coolant recently, mainly from the standpoint that its a one time deal and you basically dont have to worry about it, at least that is my understanding of it. But also I think that a coolant filter would be a wise idear too. Riley's site recommends changing the filter once every three months for the first year upon initial install, with that recommendation its probably not a wise idear to put $28/gal coolant in until I am done changing filters?? So, who all is running a coolant filter and has it been beneficial to your system? And is this Evans coolant the real fo schizzle?

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Been pondering the Evans coolant recently, mainly from the standpoint that its a one time deal and you basically dont have to worry about it, at least that is my understanding of it. But also I think that a coolant filter would be a wise idear too. Riley's site recommends changing the filter once every three months for the first year upon initial install, with that recommendation its probably not a wise idear to put $28/gal coolant in until I am done changing filters?? So, who all is running a coolant filter and has it been beneficial to your system? And is this Evans coolant the real fo schizzle?

I've had Bob Riley's coolant filter for over a year now and have changed the sediment filter four times (I'm now good for a year). Since I never cut in half the old filters, I have no idea how much sediment was filtered from the system since the install. One thing I did notice recently was foaming in my degas bottle (I'm not sure why). To correct this I added Redline Diesel Wetter which stopped the foaming and will further help in cooling. I believe having filtered coolant is beneficial for the water pump but think Evan$ is over kill. BTW, is Evan$ a low silicate coolant?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Foaming in your degas bottle would be indicative of impurities in your H2O not?

I dont know if the Evans would be considered over kill or not, its about twice the price of "other" coolants, but what about additives and hastle with other coolants? And is Evans claims of 500,000 miles real? Evans also claims an increase in fuel economy due to higher engine operating temps....... They sure seem to have all kinds of claims, but has anybody here had experience with or can back up these claims?

Evans

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
One other thing Richard, do you use the SCA pre-charged filters when you change the filter?

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
One other thing Richard, do you use the SCA pre-charged filters when you change the filter?

Nope, I use the uncharged filters because I don't use FW-16. I've been using RMI-25 (also from DieselSite) instead for my anti cavitation protection.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Mike, On second thought...with your upgraded injectors, getting the best coolant may not be so crazy after all. Have you seen THIS ebay auction for 4 gallons of Evans NPG+? Current bid is $50.00!

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Mike,

I've talked to a couple of people that run Evans coolant. They like it! I plan on using it when I do my coolant change in two weeks(installing floorpans this week, have kids next week.) The biggest thing is that it's waterless. :thumbs I have this setup for my race car that I'm building but it's the "race" coolant by Evans. The diesel coolant by Evans is widely used in several industrial places that don't skimp on their equipment.

Also, doesn't Bob have a setup for his coolant filter that keeps you from only loosing like a drop of coolant?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
Also, doesn't Bob have a setup for his coolant filter that keeps you from only loosing like a drop of coolant?

Reading Bob's site, I understood the loss of a drop of coolant was during the install of the filter system , whereby you get your schnitt together with your fittings, leave radiator cap in place, pull plug on water pump, rad cap maintains a vacuum on cooling system so not much leaks out????? Anyway, thats how I understood his statement of "only losing a teaspoon of coolant". :dunno

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I was thinking of the ball valves that he sells as addons. They help with a clean filter change. Don't want that precious coolant on the concrete.

From what he told me, it doesn't really matter when you do the filter. He just advised me to install one when $$$'s there....added insurance for the pump.

I plan on calling Bob this week!

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
I was thinking of the ball valves that he sells as addons. They help with a clean filter change. Don't want that precious coolant on the concrete.

Oh BTW, I have Bob's ball valves on either side of the filter housing...AND YOU DEFINATELY DON'T LOSE A DROP! Problem is that the housing uses two sheet metal screws to mount it to the left of the brake booster at the top of the fire wall (Bob's suggested mounting location) and the attachment is flimsy so when the time comes to loosen the filter it's a PITA to not damage the screws. If I were to do it again, I'd mount the filter housing inside driver's side fender near the IDM with SS bolts and lock nuts...only problem is getting your hands down there to change it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14